Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Idle issues on a 2000

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Idle issues on a 2000

Hey guys! I have a 2000 xj with a an idle issue that allows the jeep to start but then either have a drop in idle to about 200-300 rpm or it will idle like normal but then once the jeep is revved up to about 2200 rpm the rpms suddenly drop and then the engine stalls out. I believe that it could be related to my leak detection pump. The jeep is throwing 4 codes; P0353, P0352, P0351, and P1495. From the research that I have done, three of the codes are for engine misfires which led me to think that I had a bad coil pack and spark plugs which I replaced today. Along with that I had replaced my battery thinking that it could be preventing the jeep from staying alive. I didn't think much of the leak detection pump code because I had been running the jeep with the CEL on for about 3 months knowing that it was for code P1495 aka Leak Detection Pump. From further reading and discussion with my neighbor who had both a ZJ and a WJ with a 4.0 we narrowed it down to it being that the pump needed to be addressed. After investigating we found that one of the hoses that is supposedly supposed to connect to the firewall was not connected to anything we knew where our problem was. It looks like there could be a missing hard vacuum line but I would have no idea where it would connect to. I plan on posting a picture of the hose and a video of the idle some time tomorrow. If anyone knows anything about how to fix this problem I would greatly appreciate it!
Old 10-23-2017, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by tpb_21
Hey guys! I have a 2000 xj with a an idle issue that allows the jeep to start but then either have a drop in idle to about 200-300 rpm or it will idle like normal but then once the jeep is revved up to about 2200 rpm the rpms suddenly drop and then the engine stalls out. I believe that it could be related to my leak detection pump. The jeep is throwing 4 codes; P0353, P0352, P0351, and P1495. From the research that I have done, three of the codes are for engine misfires which led me to think that I had a bad coil pack and spark plugs which I replaced today. Along with that I had replaced my battery thinking that it could be preventing the jeep from staying alive. I didn't think much of the leak detection pump code because I had been running the jeep with the CEL on for about 3 months knowing that it was for code P1495 aka Leak Detection Pump. From further reading and discussion with my neighbor who had both a ZJ and a WJ with a 4.0 we narrowed it down to it being that the pump needed to be addressed. After investigating we found that one of the hoses that is supposedly supposed to connect to the firewall was not connected to anything we knew where our problem was. It looks like there could be a missing hard vacuum line but I would have no idea where it would connect to. I plan on posting a picture of the hose and a video of the idle some time tomorrow. If anyone knows anything about how to fix this problem I would greatly appreciate it!
Here's the video and picture.
Attached Thumbnails Idle issues on a 2000-img_9163.jpg