Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

I want to hear from RC long arm owners!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default I want to hear from RC long arm owners!!!

Ok I've been looking at the RC 6.5" long arm kit for a LONG time now and I've done tons of research. SO many people have something bad to say about it but they have never owned RC. I want to hear from anyone running this kit good or bad but you HAVE to have personal experience with an RC product!!! I know their shocks aren't the best but I can replace this so it doesn't matter. To aid with advice I will say that I'm NOT a hard core off roader! I'll hit the mud and cane fields from time to time and I'm looking to get into trail riding but NO rocks. This is my DD and it has to stay that way for a while. It won't be put through extreme abuse so please pipe in and tell your story. Like I said GOOD or BAD. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-23-2010, 04:02 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1992

Originally Posted by tactical40cal
Ok I've been looking at the RC 6.5" long arm kit for a LONG time now and I've done tons of research. SO many people have something bad to say about it but they have never owned RC. I want to hear from anyone running this kit good or bad but you HAVE to have personal experience with an RC product!!! I know their shocks aren't the best but I can replace this so it doesn't matter. To aid with advice I will say that I'm NOT a hard core off roader! I'll hit the mud and cane fields from time to time and I'm looking to get into trail riding but NO rocks. This is my DD and it has to stay that way for a while. It won't be put through extreme abuse so please pipe in and tell your story. Like I said GOOD or BAD. Thanks in advance!
I have tons of personal experiences with RC. I even parted out an XJ I bought that had a RC lift. Would I buy another one? No. Search you will find why I dislike them. If your rig will see the road more so then trails you will be fine I would hope. The coils and leafs are stiff and ride stiff but the LA may help in that manner. I would look for another LA option but thats just me. I have had a terrible time with their customer service, shop has been hung up on twice asking about the bushings and customer issues with them. The shop I work at has a RC xj in the shop and the owner is fit to be tied with the RC product. All bushings are shot (RC wont warranty because they said bushings are normal wear product) on the rig along with one bent leaf. All this happened under a year of installing it. You would expect a product to last longer then that.

But that being said if you are looking at RC products your budget it very limited. RC would be the only company in that range for you.

Please if you are installing a 6.5" install at least a 35" tire under it. they look ridiculous with the high COG with 33's.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:22 PM

Year: 98
Engine: 4.0L

Pm mudddeprived on cherokee talk com he has a rough country long arm he really likes his setup.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:34 PM

Haha I KNEW I'd be hearing from u xjoffroad!!! All in good sport tho! I'm actually also looking at the IRO LA kit and have heard NOTHING bad about about it!!! And for only $200 more that's not a bad deal! As far as 35's those are out until I replace the D35 and regear so 33's it'll be till then. Not to mention I prefer alot of space in my wheel wells so it would work till I got bored with 'em
Old 05-23-2010, 05:38 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

I have RC rear leaf packs that i bought with 2000 miles on them. They are very stiff and every leaf in both packs was kinked. I had to re arch them and replace and add a few leafs. The coils that original owner had were sagged too. Looked brand new but the whole kit was not good. I made the rear leafs works and with my tera Flex shackles got about 6-6.5" lift out of the rear but its still stiff. flex's good tho!

I would highly suggest saving for the IRO kit. You will not regret it.

also i installed a 4.5RC kit on my ex's 01' and it was really rough. No matter how many miles we put on it and flexed it out it would not soften up....
Old 05-23-2010, 05:42 PM

Yeah I keep hearing the same exact complaints about them! Good thing I've been too broke to waste my money!!! Lol
Old 05-23-2010, 05:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

So far for me I've had no problems except the shocks are to short for full flex Thats the part I'm gonna upgrade. I've put like 7000 mile on it and so far no problems. Yes it does ride like a truck but I'm that kind of person that it dosint bother. I've abused it a few times crawling rocks and such so far nothings broken. There's my 2 cents.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:45 PM
Registered Users

Haha I KNEW I'd be hearing from u xjoffroad!!! All in good sport tho! I'm actually also looking at the IRO LA kit and have heard NOTHING bad about about it!!! And for only $200 more that's not a bad deal! As far as 35's those are out until I replace the D35 and regear so 33's it'll be till then. Not to mention I prefer alot of space in my wheel wells so it would work till I got bored with 'em
I know nothing about IRO but have heard good things. They are somewhat new and not a ton of people are running their setup and thats probably why I have not seen one in the shop. DO NOT LOCK the D35 if you are going to run the 33's. Not a huge price difference between them in price either.

here are the companies that I rarely see coming into the shop with issues

Rubicon Express
Claytons
BDS
IRO

Good luck with your search!
Old 05-23-2010, 08:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997

i didnt buy the complete kit i peiced my lift together with individual parts but i love mine and it rides nice
Attached Images   
Old 05-23-2010, 09:29 PM

There are 2 threads on jeepforum about the RC long arm.
I myself am not going to order the full kit. Im going to order the long arm upgrade and use RE springs and other pieces to complete it.
Its not a claytons or TNT but its a great price on the full kit ....Right now its back ordered due to the high demand.
For the price savings I am willing to wait a while for it.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by xjoffroad
I know nothing about IRO but have heard good things. They are somewhat new and not a ton of people are running their setup and thats probably why I have not seen one in the shop. DO NOT LOCK the D35 if you are going to run the 33's. Not a huge price difference between them in price either.

here are the companies that I rarely see coming into the shop with issues

Rubicon Express
Claytons
BDS
IRO

Good luck with your search!
oh i have NO intentions of spending ANY money on the D35!!! gonna wait to gear and lock once i get a D44 or 8.25
Old 05-24-2010, 07:39 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 lt. 242 cu.in.

Do yourself a favor please and get the IRO kit. My buddy had IRO's LA kit on his dubjay and he had hella flex and he loved it.

Last edited by offroadnut36; 05-24-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:31 PM
Registered Users

oh i have NO intentions of spending ANY money on the D35!!! gonna wait to gear and lock once i get a D44 or 8.25
good man!
Old 05-24-2010, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by xjoffroad
good man!
i've read enough threads and learned enough about the D35 to know NOT to spend anything on them!!! lol
Old 05-24-2010, 06:45 PM

Engine: 4.0L

Rough Country's Customer service is the worst I have ever had to deal with. Their people never have any answers and they are always giving you the run around I would spend a couple hundred more to get a Rubicon, or some thing else. I was told my parts were in stock and were to be shipped only to get them 45 days later.

Quick Reply: I want to hear from RC long arm owners!!!