Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

I think I broke 4-HI? Horrible grinding noise!

Old 04-25-2010, 12:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Stock
Default I think I broke 4-HI? Horrible grinding noise!

I just got back from the sand dunes, and I have a major problem with 4 wheel high. I have used it on previous trips without major issue...it just sometimes wants to stick in 4 wheel. Now it makes a horrible grinding noise when you get it in 4 wheel and try and accelerate. Sometimes the shifter pops out of 4 into Neutral, and sometimes it dosen't. It just makes a horrible grinding noise...and you don't go anywhere.

It runs just fine in 4-Low and 2-Hi

I have a 2" lift with a 1" T-case drop. all of my linkage looks to be in good condition. Has anybody experienced shifting problems with a T-case drop? or did I just blow up my transfer case?

Last edited by ClutchKimball; 04-25-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

i would assume if you destroyed the tc it wouldnt operate correctly in 2hi and 4lo either.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:36 PM

Hmm...I guess that would stand to reason. Any insight on what it could be?
Old 04-25-2010, 04:43 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 HO

Not really. Did you maybe check your linkage. Maybe it loosened somehow?
Old 04-25-2010, 04:54 PM

I did a 30 second check up at the dunes and everything looked okay, but I think I am going to wait until the sand drains out of it a lil'

They don't make a pair of sunglasses that protect against dune sand in a 20 MPH wind.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 H.O. K&N, Borla headers, custom down pipe, magnaflow hi-flo cat, flowmaster to turn down tip

Originally Posted by lliamsdad
Not really. Did you maybe check your linkage. Maybe it loosened somehow?
ditto on the linkage, sounds like it is just not engaging all the way. cause there is no noise when sitting still right? if not then it is not engaging 4hi all the way. if 4lo works then this one might be a loose linkage. also you said 2" drop? that is too much for a stock linkage on a Cherokee. 1" is enough, what do you need 2" for? i have a 7" lift with a 1" drop and a wrangler transmission so my angle is higher then yours. i have no reason to do more then 1". try taking the linkage off and engaging it strait at the transfer case under the car. if it works fine they you need to either do 1 of two things

1. get a smaller drop
2. get a drop transfer case linkage
3. weld one up yourself.

those are the options i c 4 your situation. good luck
Old 04-25-2010, 05:05 PM

I have a 2" Suspension Lift

I have a 1" Transfer Case Drop.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:42 PM

Okay, so I checked out the linkage, both from the top and from the bottom. Tried shifting it, and had my dad shift it while I was underneath. Nothing seems loose, or bent, or anything...but admittedly, I don't know what I am looking for really.

I put it in 4-HI and it seems to go in, and work just fine...until you get on it hard. The shifter seems to stay in gear...it just wont go anywhere and sounds like someone free-spinning a very large ratchet. IIRC, it happens under a lot of load. It started doing it after I had sunk it in the sand backing up in 2wd. After that, anywhere in the sand under a load, even going up simple inclines it would slip and make the sound.

Last edited by ClutchKimball; 04-25-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:50 PM

Year: 98' and 99'
Engine: 4.0

I have the exact same problem,, I can use 4lo no problem, but when i pop it into 4hi, I get the grinding noise.

I talk to a diff and tranny mechanic and he told me that is has something to do with the planetary gears in the T-case.

I would take it to a garage to have a look at it.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:13 PM

I think I found the problem! I loosened up the adjustment bolt for the linkage, and played with it quite a bit...I never could get it exactly right, as the angles make it bind slightly due to the T-case drop, but I did get it to hold 4-HI just fine...I even found some sand and buried the rear end going up a hill in 2wheel, then switched to 4-HI and just romped on it. I did this several times...no slippage or grinding.

Before, I was just Jacking the shifter back into 4-HI, but I think I was either pulling it harder than it needed to, or the stop was holding it back just slightly enough to keep it from going all the way in. I have it adjusted now to where I can just "feather" it into 4 wheel, and it holds just fine. (so far)

I can get into all the gears now, and they all feel positive. I am not sure what a permanent fix would be, but now that I understand the system, it really helps.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:23 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 2.5L MPI (Throttle Body Spacer, Intake)

I hear the proublem is sometimes with t-case drops is that they torque the linkage and when you go to put the case into 4 hi, the gears arn't aligned right. The reason it workes with 2 hi and 4 lo is that they are the farthest forward and farthest back in the case and the gears slip in together easier.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994

I had to adjust mine after a cross member drop before.......
Old 04-25-2010, 08:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0L H.O.

I had this same issue for a while and if you look at a stock cherokee's linkages and one with a t-case drop on it the links go from being horizontal to diagonal after you put the drop on it. if you just remove the bracket attached to the body (in my case i had to cut it off) and move it down by one inch you will never have the problem again.

i adjusted the linkage like you did and it only worked for a little while. and as for the "planetary gears" that mechanic mentioned, its his job to fix peoples vehicles, of course he is going to say whatever he has to to get more money.

theres nothing wrong with ur t-case, those links are just precise and if you move em outa whack it will let it slip outa gears n such. no worries dude just move that bracket n ur good to go!
Old 04-25-2010, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by 99xj2.5
I hear the proublem is sometimes with t-case drops is that they torque the linkage and when you go to put the case into 4 hi, the gears arn't aligned right. The reason it workes with 2 hi and 4 lo is that they are the farthest forward and farthest back in the case and the gears slip in together easier.
Kinda makes sense, but I don't quite understand...What gears? inside the transfer case? How could that misalign the gears in the case?

Have you heard of a fix for this?
Old 04-25-2010, 08:37 PM

Year: 98' and 99'

I dont have a t-case drop and i still have the same problem? Linkage??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I think I broke 4-HI? Horrible grinding noise!