Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

I for some reason feel this needs its own thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default I for some reason feel this needs its own thread

I recently purchased my 2k jeep Cherokee sport 4x4. It has 104k miles and is in pretty damn good shape. Before I bought it I checked the oil and it was ridiculously high, I thought hey, ill just change it this week.

So I hop in and see the oil pressure gauge is as high as it goes, expected....

I'm doin the oil change right after work, and hoping the seller just topped it off excessively to ensure it had oil and not that he's trying to hide a knock...

What else could I be lookin at here? Should I be concerned?. Not to mention there is now a CEL on constantly... the seller said it was a mis fire and bought me some little black rubber things with tiny springs.. one for each cylinder and said they should fix the CEL. What are they lol.. coil packs? Easy install? Solution to my CEL?..... PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 01-12-2011, 03:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jacked_xj
I recently purchased my 2k jeep Cherokee sport 4x4. It has 104k miles and is in pretty damn good shape. Before I bought it I checked the oil and it was ridiculously high, I thought hey, ill just change it this week.

So I hop in and see the oil pressure gauge is as high as it goes, expected....

I'm doin the oil change right after work, and hoping the seller just topped it off excessively to ensure it had oil and not that he's trying to hide a knock...

What else could I be lookin at here? Should I be concerned?. Not to mention there is now a CEL on constantly... the seller said it was a mis fire and bought me some little black rubber things with tiny springs.. one for each cylinder and said they should fix the CEL. What are they lol.. coil packs? Easy install? Solution to my CEL?..... PLEASE HELP!!!
Sounds like they are plug wire ends. take a pic so we can see and verify it. check compression, check for oil in coolant and vise-versa, Possibility it wasn't overfilled with oil, could be a head gasket leaking. with that much oil pressure lots of seals are gonna be under stress. get all the levels and CEL fixed, then run it and see how she acts. let us know.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:43 PM

I'll have to take the pic after work in about an hour. And how do I fix the CEL before I run it?... is the head gasket a big project?
Old 01-12-2011, 03:49 PM
Seasoned Member

I'll have to take the pic after work in about an hour. And how do I fix the CEL before I run it?... is the head gasket a big project?

First you need to find out what's causing the CEL. stop by autozone and have them check it. The head gasket is not a big IF you have the necessary tools and aptitude. If you are at all unsure about doin it yourself, DON"T! It's not difficult to do but it's easy to screw something up. Where abouts in the U.S. are you?
Old 01-12-2011, 03:57 PM

Im in New Mexico. I am confident with the project just curious to the level of work. the compression test will have to wait till tomorrow.. but autozone and oil change will happen within the next hour or two.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Im in New Mexico. I am confident with the project just curious to the level of work. the compression test will have to wait till tomorrow.. but autozone and oil change will happen within the next hour or two.
Under the oil fill cap is it milky? if so that's a good indicator of a head gasket goin bad.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:01 PM

Ill check very soon... gettin nervous
Old 01-12-2011, 04:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Yep sounds like a possible leak head gasket. When you drain the oil, look at the first bit of it. If there is water, it will come out first.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:32 PM

Will it be obvious... it comes out pretty quick lol.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:19 PM

Well just finished the oil change and had the CEL checked. The oil seemed normal from the pan, but as soon as I took the filter off it sprayed out a really thin liquid I'm assuming coolant... and the coolant reservoir is somewhat low but is like a darker gold color....

Also while emptying my oil catch I found a piece of somethin..? It's breaks apart with slight pressure.. shaped oddly, could it be a piece of the head gasket..?
Old 01-12-2011, 06:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996

What code was it?

Id say you got screwed... Hope you didnt pay too much for it.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Well just finished the oil change and had the CEL checked. The oil seemed normal from the pan, but as soon as I took the filter off it sprayed out a really thin liquid I'm assuming coolant... and the coolant reservoir is somewhat low but is like a darker gold color....

Also while emptying my oil catch I found a piece of somethin..? It's breaks apart with slight pressure.. shaped oddly, could it be a piece of the head gasket..?
Be prepared to get real familiar with your jeep. I believe you got taken for a ride my friend. Coolant flush, heater core flush, t-stat, head gasket, valve seals are all in your immediate future by the sounds of it. May as well do a water pump while you are in there. Have the head checked for cracks and warpage. What was the code anyway?
Old 01-12-2011, 06:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Defiance665
What code was it?

Id say you got screwed... Hope you didnt pay too much for it.
x2
Old 01-12-2011, 06:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996

What was the code anyway?
Im gonna guess multiple cylinder misfire... (coolant entering combustion chamber)
^I was in davison on newyears for my sisters wedding
Old 01-12-2011, 06:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Defiance665
Im gonna guess multiple cylinder misfire... (coolant entering combustion chamber)
^I was in davison on newyears for my sisters wedding
With it being a 2000 I was thinking the same thing. It figures! I had the motor tore down on new years and could have used a hand lol. I paid 450 for my jeep, 88 limited 4dr leather and power everything. head gasket was toast and I told the guy, he said how about 800, I said 450 thats it. 375 bucks later she purrs like a kitten. Gotta love renix era jeeps.

Quick Reply: I for some reason feel this needs its own thread