Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

I recently bought a 96 Xj.

Old 12-26-2016, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default I recently bought a 96 Xj.

I recently bought a 96 XJ and have had to chase down a problem with idle she spits and sputters and will not idle. I have changed all sensors on top of motor (idle air intake, tps, map) dropped fuel tank and cleaned vatted and will put back on today. Replaced fuel pump and screen and now I am at a loss if this doesn't work. I have also changed distributor , cap , rotor button, plugs wires, etc. Any suggestions on what could be causing it
Old 12-26-2016, 10:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Have you checked codes ? Are all cylinders miss firing or only certain
ones ?
Old 12-26-2016, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah it keeps throwing me a tps code and a non specific 1391 & 1492. Which I looked into buy only one I could find us the camshaft position sensor so I bought it and replaced it too but still the same thing
Old 12-26-2016, 12:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

https://www.engine-light-help.com/je...ine-light.html
The most important thing to do here is quit buying new parts and start looking up how to test them.
If you aren't buying Mopar parts then you may be causing problems installing new parts that do not comunicate with the computer correctly.

You're getting p1391 which indicates the crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position senor aren't comunicating to each other and/or the computer properly.
If you haven't changed the crankshaft position sensor yet, then I would test it to see if it's good.
If you have changed it with a cheap one, then I'd test it to make sure it's good.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Remove, inspect and clean the engine grounds. Do the same with electrical connections for whatever sensor the code pertains to. Sometimes that is all it needs. It is quick, easy, and cheap. The parts cannon should be the last thing on the list.