Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

I need nss help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default I need nss help!!

ok so i have a 96 xj ive had it less then 6 months and no sooner did i pay it off, the thing started giving me trouble. its been out of commission for almost a month now it started out with an over heating problem which i was aware of but it started getting worse so i replaced the radiator, thermostat and radiator hoses which should solve that problem. I got it all ready to rock and roll and it came time for the moment of truth and it wouldnt start. I had had this problem a while back and it started in neutral and ive talked to a bunch of buddies and they all thought it was the NSS along with myself. But ive never done anything with one in my 6 years of jeepin. so i have the top bolt on the NSS out, and the lock/tab washer and nut off but then what? everyone keeps telling me to just take it off. And its not that easy. The tab where The washer and nut was only turns 1/4 of a turn and then wont move either way, i dont want to break anything. ive done my share of research on this and everything just says take it off or take it out. any one have any ideas on what to do next?
Old 03-15-2013, 05:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.7

After you remove all the bolts and nuts, it would be a good idea to clean the shaft for the switch to slide off. That means all the rust on the exposed shaft. Now you need to get between the transmission and the NSS with 2 flat blade screwdriver and try to pry it off the shaft evenly. Try not to pry on the switch but get on the hub that is stuck on the shaft. It is nerve racking but when it breaks loose it will come right off. I've done more than one this way. You should be able to take it apart and clean it and grease it and put it back in and it should be fine. Mark its position before you take it out.

The tab needs to be bent down so that you can loosen the nut on the switch to remove it. Then when you reinstall it you bend the tab back so the nut does not back off.

Last edited by nowhereman98; 03-15-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I haven't done mine, but I gather sometimes it's a challenge to tease that sucker off. One guy posted backing it with wooden shims while taping in on the big shaft. I'd think solid, like metal might be a better backer. Hit it with PB in any case!

Here's something might help;

If you hold the key over, and jiggle the shifter in park or neutral and it starts, it's your NSS. http://bc4x4.com/tech/2010/jeep-neut...ty-switch-nss/
Old 03-15-2013, 07:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

This will TEST YOUR PATIENCE! It was one of the first things I did to my current Cherokee. I soaked in overnight with PB Blaster and pretty much anything else I could spray it with. I TOOK MY TIME.... I DID NOT PRY ON IT AT ALL....I slowly rocked it back and forth by hand and it finally came off without breaking anything. It took me longer to get it off than to do all the taking apart, cleaning, re-assembly and re-installation. But I didn't break it!
You can do it! Take your time. DFlintstone's link above is an excellent reference.
Good Luck!
Old 03-16-2013, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

thanks ill give it another try its loose but it wont come off the tranny ill let you no if i get it off