Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

I looked at my new jeep wrong and now it has no fuel pressure or spark apparently.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l I6
Default I looked at my new jeep wrong and now it has no fuel pressure or spark apparently.

All I did was run a fused wire from the positive battery terminal though the plastic wiring harness that runs along the fire wall. The wire will be going to an alarm but I didn't hook it up yet, so basically the wire changes NOTHING.

The next morning the wife can get it to start. It cranks strong and perfectly but will not even try to turn over. I found that the fuel pump wasn't even coming on so I bridged the fuel pump relay and it instantly came on strong like always, giving perfect fuel pressure but it made ZERO difference. It still wont even try to turn over.

I'm assuming there is something that will not allow power to the fuel pump or ignition if something goes wrong but I can't find anything. I bridged the auto shutdown relay but it made a bunch of rapid clicking sounds (i think from the injectors) and I was too afraid to try starting it. I tried the A\C relay on the auto shutoff relay but no effect.

I also tried bypassing the ballast resistor to no effect.

If the auto shutdown gets "triggered" or whatever, is there something I have to do to "untrigger" it?

Thanks for any help.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:36 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

From Joe Peters and well stated. Sounds harsh but just makes sense:
"Let’s play a game.

You pretend that you are the only one that knows what year/engine/model, etc that you are asking about.

We will all pretend you never asked a question until you provide at least the bare minimum of information about your vehicle".

Old 07-25-2012, 08:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2

Crank sensor will kill fuel and spark. A buddy of mine pulled his jeep into the shop to do a oil change, NOTHING WRONG WITH IT!! Did the oil change.... Wouldnt start. Crank sensor decided to take a dump. Kind of weird how they just randomly die.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by tiwvr1
Crank sensor will kill fuel and spark. A buddy of mine pulled his jeep into the shop to do a oil change, NOTHING WRONG WITH IT!! Did the oil change.... Wouldnt start. Crank sensor decided to take a dump. Kind of weird how they just randomly die.
I'll swap it out and report back. Thanks a mill!
Old 07-26-2012, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by tiwvr1
If I just plug the new sensor in without installing it that should be good enough to hear the fuel pump when I put the key in start position, assuming that was the problem, correct?
Old 07-26-2012, 05:29 PM

Well, the new CKPS did nothing but I pulled a computer from the junk yard, hooked it up and it fired right up.

Now I just hope the computer happened to go bad and there isn't some ****ty sensor that's gonna cause it to go bad over and over.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 98
Engine: v6 ha ha ha
Default fuse and fuel pump connector not crank sensor

sounds like a fuse like mine did. i had a fuse blow under the hood when i went over a parking barrier. when my rear tires came back down off of it and then the connector from the fuel pump was crushed. turns out i have saggy leafs and 1/4 of a bump stop in the rear. therefore my rear dif travels to the body crushing the wiring blowing the fuel system fuse. i fixed it by cutting off the connector and using 4 water proof butt connectors in place of it. i still know i need to replace bump stops but i'm lazy about it and will put in a lift to fix this issue. if you have this fuse blown the computer doesn't send a signal for spark so people confused hurried and angry replace this stupid crank sensor find out its still not fixed. they go back to the basics and have angry laughter. i got lucky and had it do this to me in town and not on the trail.
if its not this Im sorry but you have a heck of a problem