Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

I just bought a 99 Sport 4dr 4x4 from my neighbor

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default I just bought a 99 Sport 4dr 4x4 from my neighbor

She needed money and I liked the Jeep so I gave her 2k for it. I am starting to think that was too much though

160,400 miles on it

Tires are ok, brakes are ok, Body is ok with the exception of the roof.

It drives well I think, but my 2007 Commander is nicer

She was the original owner and it has been dealer maintained since day one. The service manager wanted to buy it for $1500, and he gave it a clean bill of health.

Issues:

1) Rust on about 75% of the roof little flakes all over, not sure how to handle it.

2) Drivers side door check bracket is missing, the pin too. - PART ORDERED - not sure where to get the bolts for the bracket as they are missing too.

3) Passenger side door check pin only missing. - PART ORDERED

4) CHECK ENGINE light is on, I think there may be an exhaust leak though the truck got 295 miles on the last tank and still had 1/4 left.

5) I felt a bit dizzy after driving it tonight, but I sat in it idling and drove it with my battery powered CO detector and it did not get any reading after 15mins or so, so I am not sure.

6) Wheels are rusted pretty bad.

7) Thoughts on the issues?

8) Brakes require a great deal of pedal pressure to stop, I think my 93 Sport was like this too, but that was long ago and it was new.

I look forward to being an active member of the forum!

Thanks.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:32 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91
Engine: 4.0

not to shabby minus the rust lol.. and hey welcome to CF!
Old 11-21-2009, 09:09 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to the forum, the knowledge you can gain from this site will more than help you with your Cherokee. You asked so heres my 2 cents. Rust on the roof, POR15, pricey but works well at stopping rust. Check engine light, scan for codes, if you do'nt have the means to scan it most auto stores will do it for free. might be something as simple as a gas cap failure (the only code my 2001 ever threw). Rusted wheels, no worries, replace them with some cool wheels you actually like (I,m assuming their stockers). Brakes, hard to diagnose, so many variables. When I lifted mine and put on the 31" tires it was a ***** to stop, I replaced the pads with ceramics and it made a huge difference, stops on a dime now. Again I don't know if that will solve your problem, just giving you some ideas. As far as your suspected exhaust leak fire her up and have a friend hold a shop rag over the tailpipe while you inspect all the pipes, exhaust is kinda like water, it will take the path of least resistence. If you have a hole somewhere you should be able to see or hear it. Good luck with your new toy, work on one little thing at a time and you'll be surprised at what you end up with.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:25 AM

good buy.. Welcome.. I had alittle bit of rust on my roof as well. It wasnt rotted just a little surfave rust. I cleaned it up the best I could and then used a roll on bed liner kit to do my roof. It looks great and now it is tuff for when I throw things up there anduse my roof racks