Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

I have heat, the fan works... no flow of air??

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Supercharged 440 Magnum punched .60 - yeah right.. 4.0 like everyone else.
Default I have heat, the fan works... no flow of air??

I can hear the blend door change pitch, meaning the sound of air becomes louder/quieter as I select heat/cool.. etc.

There is no flow of air from any vents... or very little if any. I can hear the fan blasting... no flow.

Maybe a clog? Anyone have this problem?

Thanks... and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!
Old 12-24-2014, 04:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by JamromXJ
I can hear the blend door change pitch, meaning the sound of air becomes louder/quieter as I select heat/cool.. etc.

There is no flow of air from any vents... or very little if any. I can hear the fan blasting... no flow.

Maybe a clog? Anyone have this problem?

Thanks... and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!
By what you say about the blend air door changing pitch, I take it you have a 99+ XJ.

And, yes, you may have a clog. If critters got in your fan chamber and made a nest, that crap could have gotten impacted against the AC Evaporator coil, which has a foam flter on the inlet side of it. Otherwise the foam seal around the blower motor may have broken up into bits and floated downstream to the Evap Coil filter.

You're in a world of hurt bud.

LOL

Merry Christmas
Old 12-24-2014, 04:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 5.0

There was a pile of insulation in my wheel and covered my evap. Cleaned it off and all is well. I had a new blower motor and wheel handy just in case. It was cheap.
Old 12-24-2014, 05:03 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jbsjunk
There was a pile of insulation in my wheel and covered my evap. Cleaned it off and all is well. I had a new blower motor and wheel handy just in case. It was cheap.
See...

But wait OP...

Try this: Select MAX AIR (Recirc) on your mode selector and see if the airflow increases. Selecting MAX AIR opens the recirc door and brings in cabin air vs. outside air. If the airflow increases in MAX AIR there's crap in your outside air intake (under the grill surrounding the wiper blades).

If the airflow does not increase in MAX AIR then I would think the Evaporator Coil filter is clogged.
Old 12-25-2014, 10:10 PM

Engine: Supercharged 440 Magnum punched .60 - yeah right.. 4.0 like everyone else.

Thanks for the help... I will try this tomorrow.

Either way, are both solved by removing the dash and the heater box? Can I gain access any other way and use a shop vac?

If I have to remove everything, I might as well replace the heater-core while I'm there.

JR
Old 12-25-2014, 10:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 5.0

You can inspect it by pulling the blower motor out under the hood. Might take 5 minutes. After you look at that, then you can decide. Don't have to touch the dash or go inside.
Old 12-25-2014, 10:58 PM

I'm going to do that, hopefully I find the problem without needing to go further... and I'll buy the damn FSM.. it appears I bought a bit of a lemon in that I'm replacing EVERYTHING!!!

But.. on the upside... I love my XJ and after having replaced almost everything.. she's practically new again! LOL!

Thanks for the help,

JR
Old 12-26-2014, 10:49 AM
CF Veteran

Here's pics of the area jbsjunk was talking about inside of your HVAC Unit.

Blower opening:

Name:  BLOWERMOUNTDrawing1.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  67.1 KB

Area of Evaporator that can be inpacted by foam, etc. Just around the corner from the blower opening:

Name:  HVACUNITDrawing1.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  75.5 KB
Old 12-26-2014, 05:01 PM

Wow, great pics! That's what I was looking for, a better over-view of what it all looks like.

So here's what I did, I went in from the blower resistor cover and took a look with an inspection mirror and LED light. The evaportator looks old, but not clogged. The blower is fine, and work without issue. The blend door moves and I can feel the change in temp of the air.

I think my HC is good. I can feel the lower hose feels warm and I can feel warm air from the blower when it's on.

Judging by your pic, maybe I have a clog right in front of the HC?

The air flow out is just weak from the vents, but when I open the cabin door, it's blasting as it should.

I even took apart the cover to the wiper motors and vaccuumed that, and looked down that plastic intake shaft to the blower on the passengers side. Looked good too... no clog.

I really hate to crack open the dash...

Thanks for your help on this one...
Old 12-26-2014, 06:07 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by JamromXJ
Wow, great pics! That's what I was looking for, a better over-view of what it all looks like.

So here's what I did, I went in from the blower resistor cover and took a look with an inspection mirror and LED light. The evaportator looks old, but not clogged. The blower is fine, and work without issue. The blend door moves and I can feel the change in temp of the air.

I think my HC is good. I can feel the lower hose feels warm and I can feel warm air from the blower when it's on.

Judging by your pic, maybe I have a clog right in front of the HC?

The air flow out is just weak from the vents, but when I open the cabin door, it's blasting as it should.

I even took apart the cover to the wiper motors and vaccuumed that, and looked down that plastic intake shaft to the blower on the passengers side. Looked good too... no clog.

I really hate to crack open the dash...

Thanks for your help on this one...
What cabin door?
Old 12-26-2014, 08:12 PM

The cabin air entry. When I go to max air, it seems to be pushing harder, not a massive flow, but definitely more volume harder flow of air.

I might have found the problem. When I went out and checked again, I was tapping around the casing and heard the annoying buzz of a wasp. Not sure what is going on in this thing...

I'll look at it again tomorrow. I really think there is something brewing in there. Right now I'm in between fixing the rear wiper motor, changing the 2 lift pistons, and putting in a new lift gate handle. It never ends...

Thanks,

JR
Old 12-31-2014, 07:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee

I call my little sweetheart (97 XL) the BLACK HOLE or THE MONEY PIT. She is black color - even the grill. Just don't let your little darling know what your bank account balance is....as you'll be spending it on her BIG TIME. Just got a Xmas bonus and my little darling ate it for breakfast.

My late husband bought some POS years ago in South Florida and had one heck of a crap build up in his AC system. Seems like a whole herd of mice made their home in his car for quite sometime. What a mess that was to clean out! Just be careful with the wasps and make sure you get them all out.

Last edited by twinkiedooter; 12-31-2014 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:57 PM

Thanks. I've convinced myself that I will be taking the dash out in the spring. In the mean time, I'll let whatever that's in there die over the winter.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:57 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by twinkiedooter
I call my little sweetheart (97 XL) the BLACK HOLE or THE MONEY PIT. She is black color - even the grill. Just don't let your little darling know what your bank account balance is....as you'll be spending it on her BIG TIME. Just got a Xmas bonus and my little darling ate it for breakfast.

My late husband bought some POS years ago in South Florida and had one heck of a crap build up in his AC system. Seems like a whole herd of mice made their home in his car for quite sometime. What a mess that was to clean out! Just be careful with the wasps and make sure you get them all out.
Do you know TracyK? See lives in Toledo.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:30 AM

Year: 1994

I bought my XJ in September, with the blower working on high only. During the course of fixing stuff, I removed the blower for replacement because of high current draw, and found that cavity almost full of mouse nest. The blower wheel still turned, in it's own little spot in the nest debris, but no flow could be felt.
I vacuumed the evap core and cowl inlet area etc, and it all works good now.
This Jeep was at a friend's cottage, and rarely used, so it sat around waiting for the mice to find living space..