Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

i got the vibes

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default i got the vibes

99 4.0 aw4. no lift. lately I have this rumble vibration noise that happens when im coming to a stop. it also happens when I let go of the brakes and am creeping forward at idle. I thought it was the rotors so I put new ones in with new pads as well. well that didn't fix it. now im thinking its the driveshaft u joint as that is what my online search is saying. looked under the jeep and the u joint seems fine no play. any thoughts, could it be seized up? no noise in reverse either
Old 03-23-2015, 05:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Start with the U-joints. To see if they are binding, you'll need to take the drive shaft off and move the joints around. They might not have any play, but they might not be moving freely either.

Also, for a grinding sounds, if you can pinpoint to the front or rear, it will help tell you what to check. For front, since you thought it was the rotors, it could easily be the wheel hubs.

Did you change the pads when you did the rotors?

And while you're in there checking things, I'd check those axle u-joints to.

For the rear, if its not the drive shaft, then I'd pull the drums off and make sure you don't have any broken spring parts grinding on the drums... might be a bad bearing in the back too.

Lots to check, but best to figure it out sooner rather later. Just don't throw parts at it though, until you've really narrowed it down, and know what is going bad.