Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

i got a super cheap 84 XJ, have a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1984
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 2.5
Default i got a super cheap 84 XJ, have a few questions.

Hello, I just bought a manual 84 Cherokee Pioneer for $650, It runs fine, and i even drove it home.. funny thing is that it was at a garage sale and i wasn't really in the market for an XJ, but it was a flash decision and thought it would be fun. I got it home and started doing some research.. and did the usual maintenance you would do (brakes, new clutch master cylinder, oil, plugs, ect) that kind of thing. I obviously am excited to modify and customize it and such, but its a 4cyl 2.5 engine which only makes 80ish hp, im not looking to make it a crawler or any huge lift, I was thinking for more lighter trail kinda stuff,
and i was wondering if there were any suggestions to make the 2.5 any better, the guy I bought it from was an ex-Chrysler employee and him and his buddies had boxes and boxes of extra parts and the engine only had probably 10k miles, but he hurt his back and let it sit, I have a bunch of Chrysler computers and other stuff, the whole back and half of my other truck were full of extra parts, I guess they were trying to completely restore it and im in the process of replacing the floor pans, because they were basically gone and the rear is sagging really bad, Im looking at a rough country 3 inch lift (the one that comes with new leafs altogether) and ive seen a lot of different things about what other parts you need to install to do the lift right.

TOO LONG DID'NT READ
1. any way to make 2.5 4cyl better?
2. other parts i need for a 3 inch lift if i buy a rough country 3 inch (Its this one, but with the all new leafs)