Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

I failed the Smog test i didn't understand

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6
Angry I failed the Smog test i didn't understand

Well i'm in a world of hurt. I just bought this new to me 95 2WD I6 XJ as my first car after my move to Cali.Well after purchase it apparently needs to be "Smogged" (I'm from Florida) to make the Hippies happy. These are the results I got. I just replaced the following:
New TPS
New Vacuum hoses
New Injectors
New head gasket after old one blew out
New Spark Plugs

So far everything seems to be happy but I'm getting very sluggish throttle response until the RPMs reach around 2200 then she'll get up and go. Also this whole gross polluter issue. Can anyone help, I don't understand the laws in California.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98

Hah, they labled your XJ as a "gross polluter".

Looks like your are failing NOx.
Honestly, you are prettty close - I would just throw in some of the CRC "G2P" (guarenteed to pass) and call it a day.

If you want to fix the issue, you probably need a new catalytic converter ($50-$100), and new O2 sensors ($40 each, you have 2 in your 95).
Old 09-05-2018, 11:10 AM

If you want to fix the issue, you probably need a new catalytic converter ($50-$100), and new O2 sensors ($40 each, you have 2 in your 95).[/QUOTE]

I don't mind fixing the issue. but it says the cat passed. That's why I am so confused. I checked this morning and my Code 27 is back, I.m not 100% if that is a related issue.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by SoaringBeard
If you want to fix the issue, you probably need a new catalytic converter ($50-$100), and new O2 sensors ($40 each, you have 2 in your 95).
I don't mind fixing the issue. but it says the cat passed. That's why I am so confused. I checked this morning and my Code 27 is back, I.m not 100% if that is a related issue.[/QUOTE]

Your Cat passed visible inspection. That means that you A) Have one and B) There's no obvious holes or excessive damage. You can't tell by looking at at catalytic converter whether it is correctly filtering out the pollutants or not.

Also you slightly failed HC (Your MEAS column has to be lower than the MAX column) if you look under HC (Hydrocarbons I'm assuming) you're over by a small number. In the HC column you're NOT a "Gross polluter".

In the NOX column you are way way over. Your MEAS column is higher than the GP column which is why you're being unfairly oppressed by Big Gov't and being called names.

Last edited by PatHenry; 09-05-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:47 AM
CF Veteran

Yeah, the cat passed the visual inspection but you can't really test a cat without removing it from the vehicle and some specialized equipment I am sure.

Exhaust gasses pass through the catalytic converter substrate, which is coated with a washcoat containing platinum (Pt), palladium (Pd), or rhodium (Rh). Hydrocarbons (HC), carbon monoxide (CO) and oxides of nitrogen (NOx) in the exhuast are converted to carbon dioxide (CO2), nitrogen gas (NOx) and water vapor (H2O).
That would indicate the cat is below efficiency and essentially needs to be refreshed

EDIT:
Code 27 is an injector fault.
What kind of injectors did you install? Possible that one is bad
Also possible that it is a wiring issue, so check for any broken insulation, chafed wires, or dodgy connections

Also, it is a really good idea to make sure your engine grounds are all clean and shiny, especially the ones on the passenger side of the engine block and main battery-to-chassis ground. And the battery terminals. Probably not the issue but easy to do and good preventative maintenance.
http://cruiser54.com/?p=19

Last edited by investinwaffles; 09-05-2018 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by investinwaffles
Yeah, the cat passed the visual inspection but you can't really test a cat without removing it from the vehicle and some specialized equipment I am sure.

That would indicate the cat is below efficiency and essentially needs to be refreshed

EDIT:
Code 27 is an injector fault.
What kind of injectors did you install? Possible that one is bad
Also possible that it is a wiring issue, so check for any broken insulation, chafed wires, or dodgy connections

Also, it is a really good idea to make sure your engine grounds are all clean and shiny, especially the ones on the passenger side of the engine block and main battery-to-chassis ground. And the battery terminals. Probably not the issue but easy to do and good preventative maintenance.
http://cruiser54.com/?p=19
All of the grounds have recently been cleaned and I don't think there's an issue there. I Installed AC Delco injectors but i'm getting some odd OHM readings this morning. 4 are at 25ohms 1 is at 17 and another wont stabilize, I tested with 2 different multimeters and the results are the exact same so it' not an issue there. I'm guessing I need to replace those.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:17 PM
CF Veteran

Are they under warranty? Get em replaced if so.

If not, might consider getting some 4 or 12 hole injectors instead. Pick up a little smoothness at idle and 1-2mpg

Something like this (EV1 injectors will fit pre-96 XJ's)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-1991-J...pe!33701!US!-1