Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

I can't find any repair information on 96 xj country

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default I can't find any repair information on 96 xj country

First off, I'm new to Cherokee Forum so I might be in the wrong place. I have a 96 Cherokee country that has a little more than your average wear. It sat in a field for at least 2 years. Anyway, I can't find any repair manuals, or even any solid write ups. It took nearly a month to find the fuse box diagram. I was hoping someone knew of a free online manual that was worth checking. The lack of resources for 96 hasn't stopped me on anything but it has turned what should've been 1-2 hours into 4 days.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Let me see if I can provide a short version of this answer.

The 1996 model year is a little unusual. Some aspects are more 95-like, and others are more like the 97. Depending on when the 96 was built.

You can get digital Field Service Manuals from pacific coast manuals. I would recommend getting both the 95 and the 96 for the XJ Cherokee. They are very affordable. The shortcoming is that what they sell as the 96 FSM is actually slightly modified 97 FSM. So it won't be very accurate in the electrical department. But it will pretty accurate for most physical components.

Your best source for an accurate depiction of your Power Distribution Center (PDC) and the internal Fuse Junction Block will be found in the 1996 Model owner's manual. If you don't have one, you may want to check ebay. They can probably be found for a reasonable amount.

The last, best, and most thorough option is to get a hard copy of the true 1996 Field Service Manual, and the supplementary manual that Chrysler produced that covered some additional information for the 1996 year as they made changes.

For example something like this:
http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/1...al-P17447.aspx

The reason I suggest getting a hard-copy is because many of the digital copies out there are going to turn out to be something other than the actual 1996 FSM. But the hard copy version is not cheap. Maybe you'll find a great deal, but the going rate seems to be about $100. I finally broke down and bought it, because when it comes to wiring diagrams close-doesn't-count. And the 95 and 97 digital copies from pacific coast manuals were just not close enough to be useful.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Thank you

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
Let me see if I can provide a short version of this answer.

The 1996 model year is a little unusual. Some aspects are more 95-like, and others are more like the 97. Depending on when the 96 was built.

You can get digital Field Service Manuals from pacific coast manuals. I would recommend getting both the 95 and the 96 for the XJ Cherokee. They are very affordable. The shortcoming is that what they sell as the 96 FSM is actually slightly modified 97 FSM. So it won't be very accurate in the electrical department. But it will pretty accurate for most physical components.

Your best source for an accurate depiction of your Power Distribution Center (PDC) and the internal Fuse Junction Block will be found in the 1996 Model owner's manual. If you don't have one, you may want to check ebay. They can probably be found for a reasonable amount.

The last, best, and most thorough option is to get a hard copy of the true 1996 Field Service Manual, and the supplementary manual that Chrysler produced that covered some additional information for the 1996 year as they made changes.

For example something like this:
http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/1...al-P17447.aspx

The reason I suggest getting a hard-copy is because many of the digital copies out there are going to turn out to be something other than the actual 1996 FSM. But the hard copy version is not cheap. Maybe you'll find a great deal, but the going rate seems to be about $100. I finally broke down and bought it, because when it comes to wiring diagrams close-doesn't-count. And the 95 and 97 digital copies from pacific coast manuals were just not close enough to be useful.
​I was afraid of that, although, I was moreso looking for an online library of repair manuals, not purely xj. Once my Jeep is reliable I plan on flipping cars. Eventually I want to get to a point where it's my main income. I took an auto-tech class in highschool and we used Mitchell on-demand. I want to get a subscription but I'm worried that it will cost more than it saves until I get going. Do you have any opinion on Mitchell?
Old 09-20-2017, 05:11 PM
CF Veteran

I am aware of the subscription data services, but I have no experience with them.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I have a Hanes Manual and the wiring diagrams have been accurate so far for both the 97 and 96 that I have needed it for.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:28 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 00t444e
I have a Hanes Manual and the wiring diagrams have been accurate so far for both the 97 and 96 that I have needed it for.

I have the haynes floating around here somewhere as well. I'll grab it and take a look compared to the FSM. In the FSM, the wiring diagrams alone are 3 times the thickness of the entire haynes book. So I'm curious to see if it skips out on things, or lays it out differently to save pages. The FSM tends to do diagrams based on a sub-system focus, where a particular sensor may show up in 4-5 different diagrams depending on the scope of the system being studied. Which means a lot of redundancy in the diagrams (lots of extra pages). I think the Haynes lays things out more globally, like a big roadmap right? (I can't remember for sure).