Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

HVAC Modification Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default HVAC Modification Question

This is the current state of my 97 XJ. The A/C completely stopped blowing out of the vents because that little plastic piece (which I think is called the defrost door bell crank) broke and messed everything up. Living in Phoenix A/C is a must have option. I realize I could just replace that piece and reassemble everything but the thought of going through this again for some other minor breakage got me thinking.

Is there any reason I can’t eliminate all the vacuum operated door nonsense by disconnecting all the bell cranks and permanently setting the position of the doors to always blow through the upper vents? I figure I can do this by strategically drilling a couple small holes and using safety wire. I never use the other blend modes and the door that regulates hot and cold has been disconnected for a while now. I just move that back and forth by hand depending on the season. I know I wouldn’t have the windshield defrost option anymore but I never use it.

Any reason this won’t work?
Attached Thumbnails HVAC Modification Question-dsc_0114.jpg   HVAC Modification Question-dsc_0115.jpg   HVAC Modification Question-img_1715.jpg