Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

How to snake AC drain

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default How to snake AC drain

Is there a way to snake the AC drain on a 96 Cherokee without pulling the dash apart? The 96 doesn't have the flat spot under the dash to drill a clean-out hole and the tube exits into the frame rail so you can't get at it.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:17 AM

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Engine: I6 Cyl / 4L

Not sure what part you are describing but I just pulled off the drain hose that sits above the frame side upper control arm mount, passenger side, and unblocked it. Every few years it fills with dirt and needs to be cleared. Not tough to do, you just need to crawl underneath and get dirty to get to it.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:26 AM

I didn't know there was a tube there. I'll try that.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

The best way that I have found to do it is to remove the rubber hose and connect a shop vac to it. That will remove most if not all of the crud that will cause it to plug up. But, if you don't have a shop vac you can simply use a wire hanger and ream out the drain. The only problem with that is you still have the crud left inside.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:47 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Here's a pic from down below. Easy. Pinch both corners of the snake's mouth together.
Attached Thumbnails How to snake AC drain-evaporator-drain-hose.jpg  
Old 04-29-2015, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Here's a pic from down below. Easy. Pinch both corners of the snake's mouth together.
I don't seem to have that tube on mine.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:05 AM

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Engine: I6 Cyl / 4L

The rubber hose is about 4 inches long and detaches from a tube that comes out of the firewall, above the frame rail. It's maybe 1.5 inches long, black tube. Maybe you lost the rubber hose, which would make it harder to find the tube coming out the firewall.
Old 08-21-2021, 03:49 PM

Year: 2001
Default water out the floor vents

I am so sorry to be the new guy and ask the same question that's been asked a hundred times but I've searched this forum and the web and can't find the solution. I recently picked up a 2001 XJ that I hope to spit shine and make roadworthy for my daughter when she turns 16. I like many others have condensation from the AC coming out the floor vents. Before I ask the stupid question, sorry, I did park it inside for a week to make sure everything else is dried out from the cowl so I'm fairly certain there's no water coming from that area. When I run the AC for a period of time it runs out the floor vents like others have mentioned. I have used a Shop-Vac on the drain clean it out with a coat hanger and even put a scope up in the hole and it's perfectly clear, nothing below the condenser if that's what it's called. What I can't figure out is how condensation is essentially running uphill in the air box and then coming out the vents on either side. I have noticed that it's much more a prevalent when the fan is on high. If I run the fan on low and put something on either side of the vent to catch the water I don't have any come out. I do remember something about a screen on one side of the condenser inside the air box opposite side from the fan. By chance is that supposed to collect condensation and force it to drop down and go out the drain? It's a shame because I pulled the carpet and the floors are perfect. In time I know this is going to cause an issue.

Thanks for the opportunity to join the forum. It seems like every new toy you get you search and find the one forum with the best information so here I am. Thanks again and sorry about resurrecting a thread that's been beat up far too long!
Old 08-21-2021, 05:15 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990

squeeze the cheeks of the snake.

Old 08-21-2021, 11:05 PM

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by cruiser54
squeeze the cheeks of the snake.

I just have an open tube, my snake doesn't have cheeks! I pulled the tube off to the firewall and snake that and scoped it and I don't even see anything inside. I'd hope that this was my issue, I thought for sure when I looked up inside it would be all caked up and dirty but that's not the case. This drain seems to be the lowest point in all of the HVAC which would make sense so I don't see how the water is actually traveling uphill and coming out the vents unless the power of the fan is blowing it up there. The drain is wide open unfortunately that's not the problem. The condensation also seems to be coming out through the little actuator that moves the flapper back and forth.