Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

how to lift my xj

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default how to lift my xj

i got my 98 xj sport last week. it came with 2 inch spacers in the front with stock coils. and 4 pro comp shocks. Ive read about add-a-leafs, what do those do? should i get shackle lifts. Basically i want to lift my jeep 3 or 4 inches with spending the least amount of money as possible. any advise?
Old 07-16-2010, 11:38 PM

Year: 2000

Spending the least amount possible is the worst possible idea IMHO. Its already lifted 2"? Leave it alone till you can afford a decent lift. If it's jacked 2" with spacers up front, it's probably got an add-a-leaf already.. or longer shackles.

It's already jury rigged. If you wanna do more, buy a proper 3" leaf pack for the *** and coils for the front. Obviously longer shocks all around as well. If you want to half *** it, just grab a cheap lift kit.

Last edited by jigly; 07-16-2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:51 PM

Year: 2000

I can't say a$$ here? *testing* Dumper, pooper, crapper, poop shoot, ****ter, Hershey highway...

Yeah... well thought out.

Anyway..

Last edited by jigly; 07-16-2010 at 11:53 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:58 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996 Limited
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

I agree. You already have a small lift on there now so save up a little and buy a good kit with everything your ganna need. Rubicon its a really good. You wanna only have to buy your parts once right? I know there are alot of companys out there with really low prices but do it right one time and you will love your self for it later. Also with the aal there are fine just make sure you get a full length leaf.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Or....

You could go to a junkyard, do some work to locate an S-10, and take the rear leafs. There are 2 or 3 different donor vehicles that will give you a few inches of lift, for probably the price of new spacers (15$) and some new bolts 5$.

If you do some searching on the threads here you'll find alot about using parts from other trucks to upgrade your Jeep cheap.

Good-luck, have fun!
Old 07-17-2010, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Rbngrt98xj
i got my 98 xj sport last week. it came with 2 inch spacers in the front with stock coils. and 4 pro comp shocks. Ive read about add-a-leafs, what do those do? should i get shackle lifts. Basically i want to lift my jeep 3 or 4 inches with spending the least amount of money as possible. any advise?
hey, congrats on the jeep. you have a good jeep. Im sure no one forced you to buy it and said you couldnt right? you did what you wanted? well...the thing about forums is everyone will answer your question with their own opinion. as for your question.....the cut and dry answer....here we go

The two inch spacers upfront are just that...spacers netting you the total 2" lift you have. Do you know for sure you dont have add a leafs or shackles already in the rear, or even a lift block? take a look under the rear of the jeep....do you have one leaf at the bottom of the pack that looks shorter then the rest, or just newer? do you have shackles that look longer then usual or a block under the leaf packs? there is a good chance if someone put a 2" spacer upfront, theres a good chance they did the same to the rear. If not, and you want to level the rear with the front.....you can do it the cheapest for add-a-leafs, blocks, or shackles. again, people are gonna tell you NO for one or the other. With blocks your gonna need new U-bolts, Blocks simply lift the leaf pack off of the axle the amount you want to lift the truck. I would suggest if you go with a block, make sure its a solid steel block and not one of those hollow aluminum jobbies that crack. the add a leaf is a shorter, stiffer single leaf that usually has a little more arc in it then the rest of the pack. The add-a-leafs gain lift by being stiffer and having more arc in them, they will get you lift like you want, but they will also contribute to a stiffer ride and for the hardcore rock wheelers, less articulation. The longer shackles will make the distance between where the leafs attatch to the unibody. making the distance greater will lift the jeep also. that would conclude your 2" lift. if you want to go 3" as cheap as possible, you could get 3" spacers upfront or 3" longer aftermarket coils....people have experimented with other vehicle coils, but if you want definitive lift fast, go with what you know will work. for the rear, you could use a 3" block, 2" add a leaf with a 1" block, add a leaf and a shackle, shackle and a block. that will get you your lift and it will run. however, 3-4 inches higher will make your axle off center in the front due to a stock length track bar. also, it will ride a little rougher because of the steeper angle of the front control arms not being longer and or lowered. There are tons of diff ways to lift your jeep....cheap, expensive, kits or home made. do the research, know what you will use your jeep for, and build it to what suits you. enjoy!
Old 07-17-2010, 03:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1988
Engine: Rebuilt 4.0L

Originally Posted by K9Handler
hey, congrats on the jeep. you have a good jeep. Im sure no one forced you to buy it and said you couldnt right? you did what you wanted? well...the thing about forums is everyone will answer your question with their own opinion. as for your question.....the cut and dry answer....here we go

The two inch spacers upfront are just that...spacers netting you the total 2" lift you have. Do you know for sure you dont have add a leafs or shackles already in the rear, or even a lift block? take a look under the rear of the jeep....do you have one leaf at the bottom of the pack that looks shorter then the rest, or just newer? do you have shackles that look longer then usual or a block under the leaf packs? there is a good chance if someone put a 2" spacer upfront, theres a good chance they did the same to the rear. If not, and you want to level the rear with the front.....you can do it the cheapest for add-a-leafs, blocks, or shackles. again, people are gonna tell you NO for one or the other. With blocks your gonna need new U-bolts, Blocks simply lift the leaf pack off of the axle the amount you want to lift the truck. I would suggest if you go with a block, make sure its a solid steel block and not one of those hollow aluminum jobbies that crack. the add a leaf is a shorter, stiffer single leaf that usually has a little more arc in it then the rest of the pack. The add-a-leafs gain lift by being stiffer and having more arc in them, they will get you lift like you want, but they will also contribute to a stiffer ride and for the hardcore rock wheelers, less articulation. The longer shackles will make the distance between where the leafs attatch to the unibody. making the distance greater will lift the jeep also. that would conclude your 2" lift. if you want to go 3" as cheap as possible, you could get 3" spacers upfront or 3" longer aftermarket coils....people have experimented with other vehicle coils, but if you want definitive lift fast, go with what you know will work. for the rear, you could use a 3" block, 2" add a leaf with a 1" block, add a leaf and a shackle, shackle and a block. that will get you your lift and it will run. however, 3-4 inches higher will make your axle off center in the front due to a stock length track bar. also, it will ride a little rougher because of the steeper angle of the front control arms not being longer and or lowered. There are tons of diff ways to lift your jeep....cheap, expensive, kits or home made. do the research, know what you will use your jeep for, and build it to what suits you. enjoy!
...I think you could've left it at "AAL is a leaf with more arc in it that provides a bit more lift, check you back end to see if you don't already have shackles, blocks, or an AAL. The best way to go is to buy a complete lift kit. Be Safe, don't cheap out on a lift and put yourself and others in danger."

can i just ask why you included the first paragraph? It makes no sense to me...

However, that was a good, thorough explanation. Cheers.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by ColoradoXJ88
...I think you could've left it at "AAL is a leaf with more arc in it that provides a bit more lift, check you back end to see if you don't already have shackles, blocks, or an AAL. The best way to go is to buy a complete lift kit. Be Safe, don't cheap out on a lift and put yourself and others in danger."

can i just ask why you included the first paragraph? It makes no sense to me...

However, that was a good, thorough explanation. Cheers.
my apologies if i offended you but a lot of times people come on web pages to get a simple question answered. yes, there are many ways to reach the same conclusion, one person can ask how to lift a cherokee the cheapest way, and someone will answer, buy a 1200 dollar 3-4" lift kit with long arms, discos and everything but the kitchen sink, its the only way to do it, and another person will tell him to use hockey pucks and duct tape. fact is, the person inquiring needs to know more what components lift a vehicle, how they work, and what parts are NEEDED and which parts are bling or overkill. when people say that theres one way to do it, and its their way, it kinda bothers me.