Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

How hard is it to drop the Auto tranny in a 2wd XJ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default How hard is it to drop the Auto tranny in a 2wd XJ?

Ok,I've been driving my '94 XJ for a few months now, and the whole time the starter has made a terrible noise. I know it isnt the starter, But I also know that the guy at the junkyard dropped my engine 4 times off of the forklift! So, I pulled the flywheel cover, and sure enough... the flexplate is bent!. So, I've gotta drop the tranny and change it.. Now, I did put the engine in myself, but i pulled the old engine/trans as a unit and dropped the new engine/old trans in as a unit. how hard is just dropping the tranny? anything special I should look for other than the inverted torx head bolts??
Old 01-25-2011, 10:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Fanmanj
Ok,I've been driving my '94 XJ for a few months now, and the whole time the starter has made a terrible noise. I know it isnt the starter, But I also know that the guy at the junkyard dropped my engine 4 times off of the forklift! So, I pulled the flywheel cover, and sure enough... the flexplate is bent!. So, I've gotta drop the tranny and change it.. Now, I did put the engine in myself, but i pulled the old engine/trans as a unit and dropped the new engine/old trans in as a unit. how hard is just dropping the tranny? anything special I should look for other than the inverted torx head bolts??
It's not difficult at all. Just be sure to mark the wires and don't pinch them when putting it back in. When i did my flexplate, I got the jeep as high as my jack would take it, used 4 jackstands, then used my floor jack to move the trans and t-case back far enough to replace the flexplate. You only have the trans to worry about so yank the rear d/s and go to town.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:43 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 1997 4.0 I6

2WD?? Not bad at all, make sure you disconnect the crank position sensor before you lower, or even start unbolting anything!! Disconnect your lines, the harness for the trans and find yourself a output/yoke plug, just in case, you might lose some trans fluid when you pull the drive shaft out! make sure to unbolt the converter from the flex plate, now would be a good time to inspect the front pump seal, and trans mount !!!! Good luck
Old 01-26-2011, 02:12 AM
jam

Engine: 2.5 sport
Cool jamstir

Sorry i not know all the terms here..
I got sort of the same problem, terrible noise when starting, how easy is it to pull the starter out of a 2.5 litre??

I think its on the wheel but?? if thats the case, and missing a tooth or 2.. can i take a mould and make the missing bit of of metal, and weld it in place.. while engine still in place??

Sounds mad i know.. but always look for ways around things.

jam.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:49 AM

Engine: 1997 4.0 I6

umm,no. Just spend the 20 bucks at the junk yard for the part, and the hour to two hours to install it!
Old 01-26-2011, 07:50 AM

Year: 1986
Engine: 2.5L

Dont mess with the gears in your starter, they are designed to break BEFORE the flywheel does...... so if you put a weld in there, the sky is the limits for problems, take garb's advice, go to a junk yard and get one, that's all I've ever done when needing a new starter.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:16 PM
jam

Engine: 2.5 sport
Cool jamstir

Originally Posted by fishunterx
Dont mess with the gears in your starter, they are designed to break BEFORE the flywheel does...... so if you put a weld in there, the sky is the limits for problems, take garb's advice, go to a junk yard and get one, that's all I've ever done when needing a new starter.

So you guys reckon its only the starter then?? If thats the case..

Thanks..
jam