Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

How hard is this AC fix

Old 08-20-2014, 04:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default How hard is this AC fix

So my ac doesn't work. Hasn't worked as long as I have owned it. Took it to a local mech. (whom I trust) today and he said the compressor was shot. He also recommended replacing the filter dryer and the orifice tube. He said these were all parts I could buy and replace myself then all he would have to do is recharge it. That being said I know absolutely nothing about AC systems. Can just anyone pull and replace the components? And is it normal to replace all three when just the compressor is bad? I looked up the parts and I can only assume what he referred to as the filter dryer would be the same as the receiver dryer/accumulator? He quoted me just over $700 for everything but I can get all the parts from rockauto for under 200. That brings up another question...quality of parts. Any particular brand of compressor I should avoid?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you are going to be using a sanden compressor, who remanufactured it is all you have to choose from.

all are easy to swap parts with the right tools. Expect the bolts retaining the compressor to snap on you, might actually be simpler to cut the head so you at least have a tail to work with. Try the first couple and you'll know how it's going to go. If you snap one go kitty corner on the next so it remains driveable should you abandon the effort.

I would guess his quote include the labour to replace the parts as well. If he's telling you, you can do it, then most likely the system has already self purged. Technically only an AC tech can open a fully charged AC system (unless you have the proper refrigerant recapture system). He may have already purged the system as well when you first brought it in.

It's perfectly normal to replace the Drier/accumulator given your situation, and if you do buy a new one and install, add it the morning just before you go in to get the system purged and recharged. They have a limited life span once the packing seal is removed and exposed to the atmosphere (the desiccant inside is the issue) ... I believe it's something like 24hrs to no longer viable, but I can't confirm that.

Last edited by Rockfrog; 08-20-2014 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

You said you trusted your mechanic but your questions suggest otherwise?

In any event you have to replace those other parts to maintain the warranty on the new compressor. The catalog write-up on the compressor usually points out what minimum parts you have to replace for the warranty.

You can do the work but should anything happen you always have your guy to help -- win/win.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993

It's all easy to do. I just replaced 2 entire ac systems from the firewall out. Just make sure to replace all the o-rings in everything and replace the drier and the switch screwed into it while you're at it. The only item you might not want to mess with is the expansion block. You can usually get the hoses off the front ok but it's real easy to twist the aluminum tubes coming out of the firewall that go into the back of it and if that happens you're ripping your whole dash out to fix the problem.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:12 AM
Seasoned Member

I have found a kit that contains the compressor, accumulator, and orifice tube. From what I'm reading here and in a repair manual I should also grab an o-ring/seal kit and some refrigerant oil. Anyone suggest anything else or different?
Old 08-21-2014, 07:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987

Originally Posted by gpeade
I have found a kit that contains the compressor, accumulator, and orifice tube. From what I'm reading here and in a repair manual I should also grab an o-ring/seal kit and some refrigerant oil. Anyone suggest anything else or different?
That sounds like all you need. I would suggest blowing your system out with at least compressed air to flush any other contaminants out of the system.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:51 AM
Seasoned Member

Any special tools needed to get some of these hose fittings loose?
Old 08-21-2014, 08:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

So my ac doesn't work. Hasn't worked as long as I have owned it. Took it to a local mech. (whom I trust) today and he said the compressor was shot. He also recommended replacing the filter dryer and the orifice tube. He said these were all parts I could buy and replace myself then all he would have to do is recharge it. That being said I know absolutely nothing about AC systems. Can just anyone pull and replace the components? And is it normal to replace all three when just the compressor is bad? I looked up the parts and I can only assume what he referred to as the filter dryer would be the same as the receiver dryer/accumulator? He quoted me just over $700 for everything but I can get all the parts from rockauto for under 200. That brings up another question...quality of parts. Any particular brand of compressor I should avoid?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
U can buy a new compressor, liquid line/orifice tube and accumulator/dryer for under $200???.....dayum, we paid about $225 for a new compressor alone. $700 for a shop to do everything doesn't sound too bad. We were quoted $1100-$1500 to do it all. That also included a new hose/manifold assembly in addition to the 3 components above. The kiddo and I ended up replacing everything but the evaporator and condenser ourselves for about $600 which included having a shop pull a vacuum and add refrigerant by weight per the sticker under the hood.

If u do it yourself, be sure u buy a couple of bottles of a/c system flush. Pour one bottle in the evaporator and the other in the condenser. Let the flush sit a bit, then thoroughly blow the flush out of both the evap/cond with compressed air. The only special tool u'll need is used to separate those refrigerant line "quick connects" at the firewall and at the condenser. The tool is cheap and available at any auto parts store.

Google A/C overhaul.....u'll find lots of good info.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:01 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by djb383
U can buy a new compressor, liquid line/orifice tube and accumulator/dryer for under $200???.....dayum, we paid about $225 for a new compressor alone. $700 for a shop to do everything doesn't sound too bad. We were quoted $1100-$1500 to do it all. That also included a new hose/manifold assembly in addition to the 3 components above. The kiddo and I ended up replacing everything but the evaporator and condenser ourselves for about $600 which included having a shop pull a vacuum and add refrigerant by weight per the sticker under the hood.

If u do it yourself, be sure u buy a couple of bottles of a/c system flush. Pour one bottle in the evaporator and the other in the condenser. Let the flush sit a bit, then thoroughly blow the flush out of both the evap/cond with compressed air. The only special tool u'll need is used to separate those refrigerant line "quick connects" at the firewall and at the condenser. The tool is cheap and available at any auto parts store.

Google A/C overhaul.....u'll find lots of good info.
If you don't do this at the very least you may have thrown some of your money away either follow his directions and know for sure its correctly done.... Or I would take it to the shop for the evac/flush/fill where they have the proper equipment to do it JMHO.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:54 PM
Seasoned Member

djb383, rockauto has it all for under $200. Thanks for the advise. Once everything is installed I plan on taking it to the shop to be professionally evacuated, flushed, and recharged. Would you recommend flushing the evap, and condenser while I have it apart as well.
Sorry for all the questions but like I said in my OP I know nothing about AC systems.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:16 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 HO

The flush must be done with the new parts out of the system.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:51 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

djb383, rockauto has it all for under $200. Thanks for the advise. Once everything is installed I plan on taking it to the shop to be professionally evacuated, flushed, and recharged. Would you recommend flushing the evap, and condenser while I have it apart as well.
Sorry for all the questions but like I said in my OP I know nothing about AC systems.
The correct orifice tube is the one built into the liquid line and it's $25, not $0.70 like they show for just the orifice tube. The don't show the rubber manifold assembly either. Autozone had it for +/-$80, iirc.

Rock Auto does show good prices for a compressor. Wonder if those low prices r for reman or new? We went with new.