Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

How to get door locks and column ignition tumblers reset/rekeyed

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 04:21 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default How to get door locks and column ignition tumblers reset/rekeyed

'96 XJ here and I have a bit of a security breach I need to deal with. I believe a key to the old 96er feel into unknown hands so I need to get all the lock cylinders retumbled. How do I go about doing this? I've taken door locks out before so that should be doable. But for the column tumbler I really don't know, either what to take off or whom to take it to.

Who can retumble my two door locks and ignition key cylinder for me? Is this a dealer only kind of job?
Old 12-28-2016, 07:48 AM

Year: 1998

I'd go to a junkyard and grab a set.

Any locksmith should be able to rekey everything, but that would be expensive.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

All you need to do is contact a locksmith and ask about the cost.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Thanks for the replies.

Someone informed me I can also prob find a set on Amazon so I thought I'd price them out.

How can I look up what cylinder part number I need for all 5 (actually) I'll be needing...2 doors, ignition, liftgate, and glove compartment.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1999 XJ
Engine: I6 4.0L

The ignition tumbler can be removed by removing the steering wheel (easy with a steering wheel removal tool). Then, with a key in the lock, you simply depress a button and slide the ignition out. The locks in the doors require (partial) removal of the interior panels. Then, they're just held in place by flat c-clips. As wizardpc mentioned, getting a full set from the boneyard would be the way to go, but you can't always find a full set with the keys. A new set from Amazon or eBay would be next best in my opinion.

(from http://bc4x4.com/tech/2009/jeep-steering/)
Old 01-02-2017, 07:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by alpine.adrenaline
The ignition tumbler can be removed by removing the steering wheel (easy with a steering wheel removal tool). Then, with a key in the lock, you simply depress a button and slide the ignition out. The locks in the doors require (partial) removal of the interior panels. Then, they're just held in place by flat c-clips. As wizardpc mentioned, getting a full set from the boneyard would be the way to go, but you can't always find a full set with the keys. A new set from Amazon or eBay would be next best in my opinion.
Thanks for the link I'm sure it'll come in handy.

Last edited by bradleyheathhays; 01-02-2017 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine.adrenaline

(from http://bc4x4.com/tech/2009/jeep-steering/)
On my '96, there is no need to remove the steering wheel. You just remove the 2 plastic column covers (3 torx screws), then you have access to the ignition switch (3 or 4 security torx screws).
Old 08-25-2018, 11:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Old thread, but if anyone is curious as to what this involves and wants to attempt it themselves, here you go...

Last edited by fb97xj1; 08-25-2018 at 11:50 PM.
Old 08-26-2018, 01:00 AM

So, If I pull out all the tumblers, any key will work?
Old 08-26-2018, 05:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

replaced both my front door locks for about 10$ on ebay, comes with new keys. locksmiths are clueless on this except the ones who charge $40/lock.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:38 AM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I replaced ignition in my 96 XJ for $11 on ebay. I drilled out the tumblers in the ignition to get it out. Although I can't remember why now. Not sure if I had to or if my key broke off in it.

And yes, a screwdriver will work if you drill out all the tumblers. Maybe that is why I did it. I still needed to drive the jeep while waiting on the new ignition to arrive. Avoid getting pulled over with a screwdriver in ignition. It will not be very fun.

Either way, I now have different keys for door and ignition. Doesn't bother me, as this was how a lot of older cars were anyway.

Just remembered, I had to do this because something in that ignition switch actually broke. So putting in the key, and turning it, wouldn't do anything at all.

Last edited by HighOnLift; 08-27-2018 at 11:43 AM.