Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

How to fix dead shorts

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L straight 6
Default How to fix dead shorts

Has anyone had a problem with dead shorts and fixed them? I have a couple that i need to attack and get rid off. The radio, interior lights, headlights, temp gauge all have one. fml.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jordamf
Has anyone had a problem with dead shorts and fixed them? I have a couple that i need to attack and get rid off. The radio, interior lights, headlights, temp gauge all have one. fml.
are you blowing fuses

there a several ways to correct a short
sounds like you have something wrong with a main line
Old 04-02-2009, 01:15 PM

I am only blowing fuses on the radio/interior light circuit. The head light and gauge circuits haven't blown anything yet. And they didnt all happen at once. The radio and interior lights were first. the headlights and gauges just started this week.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1991

some of the guys have had similar problems
give it 24hr to get responses
I think most have just bypassed the old stuff run new wires from the fuse box to whatever is not working
Old 04-02-2009, 03:19 PM

Engine: 4.0 HO

The wires for all that crap are under the drivers feet, literally. Pull up the drivers side carpet and you find the harness under there, it carries turn signals, interior lights, elec locks, blower motor, radio, windshield wipers. It's a big frign mistake made by a drunk **** engineer. So pull up the carpet and fix it before it corrodes a hole through your floorboard.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by reddragon72
The wires for all that crap are under the drivers feet, literally. Pull up the drivers side carpet and you find the harness under there, it carries turn signals, interior lights, elec locks, blower motor, radio, windshield wipers. It's a big frign mistake made by a drunk **** engineer. So pull up the carpet and fix it before it corrodes a hole through your floorboard.
do what??....almost all cars have a Big harness running along the inside rail under the carpet...if you have moisture geting trapped under the carpet...moving the harness isnt gonna stop rust/corroding.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by 98 JeepJeep
do what??....almost all cars have a Big harness running along the inside rail under the carpet...if you have moisture geting trapped under the carpet...moving the harness isnt gonna stop rust/corroding.
this is not under the inside rail. it runs from the front door jam back to the seat then along side the hump and up to the console under the dash by the side of your right foot, but it isn't in a big U is in a V and the heal of your right foot rests on the wiring harness and pinches it especially for those of us that wear boots. My harness was burnt and corroded(which corroded the floorboard with green corrosion) in one spot and that spot was where my heal sets on the carpet, and I wear boots so that didn't help.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996

your best bet is to just run new wire to those things you could try cutting a peice but just get some good quality wire and replace it
Old 04-02-2009, 04:14 PM

under the damn carpet?!? whose brilliant idea was that. Would ie be a pain to change out the entire harness with a pre built harness? Or is that just more trouble than its worth
Old 04-02-2009, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by jordamf
under the damn carpet?!? whose brilliant idea was that. Would ie be a pain to change out the entire harness with a pre built harness? Or is that just more trouble than its worth

nope I pulled out the carpet, fixed the bad wires. I then reran them by taking off the kickboard buy the fuse box and run the wire up behind that then zip tied them up under the dash so they are up and out of the way of my feet. I am not sure why they did not do that to begin with, but yes it is an issue, and I found out what was wrong when I pulled the carpet out do to it getting soaked in a nasty smelling creek and found the harness under there, and boom it all came together what had happend 6 months earlier when I lost my radio, interior lights, elec locks, turn signals and blower.