Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

How do you guys feel about tranny additives? Lucas or others???

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 09:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default How do you guys feel about tranny additives? Lucas or others???

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...tid=9&loc=show

any experience?

My tranny is original and has 120k miles. I just picked up this cherokee and did a flush since the tranny fluid was dark brown. Was considering adding this treatment or if you have a better recommendation, i am open to it.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-09-2011, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.oL H.O. 784 injectors, EV6 to EV1 connectors, APN header, Dynomax exhaust

Should work great, I ran Lucas ATF in my race car for years without issues.
I am a big fan of Lucas products; upper cylinder lubricant, heavy duty oil additive works awesome too.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

"since the tranny fluid was dark brown"

Keep changing the fluid until all the contamination is gone, just nice clear bright red fluid, no need to waste money on any additives.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix

I do use the Lucas oil additive at each oil change and see a more stable oil pressure overall. No experience with the tans product. 516000 on the 89 Peep AW4 with just regular filter and Dextron fluid changes. One big assist you can do for your trans is a good cooler mounted out front of the rad.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
"since the tranny fluid was dark brown"

Keep changing the fluid until all the contamination is gone, just nice clear bright red fluid, no need to waste money on any additives.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

Regardless of whether you use an additive or not, you need to get that old dirty fluid out of there FIRST. Follow the advice above. I would drop the fluid in the pan, run for a week, repeat until the fluid stays a nice new red in color with no smell of being burnt.

You may want to consider dropping the pan and replacing or cleaning the filter if there is no evidence of that ever being done.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by tjwalker
Regardless of whether you use an additive or not, you need to get that old dirty fluid out of there FIRST. Follow the advice above. I would drop the fluid in the pan, run for a week, repeat until the fluid stays a nice new red in color with no smell of being burnt.

You may want to consider dropping the pan and replacing or cleaning the filter if there is no evidence of that ever being done.
I had Goodyear do the tranny service and he told me that changing the filter would open a can of worms at this point. Which is why he said he would only do a flush. Did I get taken???
Old 09-10-2011, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by BrownieBoy247
I had Goodyear do the tranny service and he told me that changing the filter would open a can of worms at this point. Which is why he said he would only do a flush. Did I get taken???
I wouldnt say you got taken just more like he didnt want to try to remove the pan to change the filter. What I would do is buy a can of SEAFOAM Trans cleaner and put some in and drive it for a little while then drop the pan and change the fluid and filter.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by treah

I wouldnt say you got taken just more like he didnt want to try to remove the pan to change the filter. What I would do is buy a can of SEAFOAM Trans cleaner and put some in and drive it for a little while then drop the pan and change the fluid and filter.
Thx. I'll take care of that today. Heading on A 12 hour drive Monday. Will really test this jeep i picked up.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: V8

My 46RH was very reluctant to go into OD. 1 quart of Lucas and a fluid change at the same time and I have had no other issues with it. It does have 200k on it, so Im not expecting miracles.

Ron
Old 09-10-2011, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by jronald
My 46RH was very reluctant to go into OD. 1 quart of Lucas and a fluid change at the same time and I have had no other issues with it. It does have 200k on it, so Im not expecting miracles.

Ron

which Lucas did you go with? the stop slip/leak or the conditioner?
Old 09-10-2011, 02:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you've had the flush done, they changed all of the fluid without dropping the pan or replacing the filter. Provided they used the proper fluid, your trans should be good for another 25-30K before changing fluid again.

Do you know what fluid they used?
Old 09-10-2011, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by excess650
If you've had the flush done, they changed all of the fluid without dropping the pan or replacing the filter. Provided they used the proper fluid, your trans should be good for another 25-30K before changing fluid again.

Do you know what fluid they used?

No i do not know. I looked over the invoice and it does not list the fluid type either. I assumed they went by what was recommended. Which is my mistake. I have been so use to the last 8 years of leasing that i am not thinking straight. I will give them a call monday and make sure they used the recommended fluid. Thanks.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:52 PM

Year: 2000

For what it's worth, I've always had good luck with LubeGard.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:09 PM

Year: 2001

Lucas is designed to swell seals. There are seals inside a transmission that are designed to shrink to seal components, not swell. Lucas is probably one of the worst things to add to a perfectly good transmission.

You want to add a quart to a toasted tranny to get a few more miles out of it then go ahead, but for gods sake, if the trans is working ok.....LEAVE IT ALONE! keep the fluid fresh (every 50-60k for dex3) and change the filter with a fluid change.

Flushes are just that....they flush money out of your wallet and into the shops. Next biggest waste of money next to lucas.

And fyi to everyone else, many manufactuers (chrysler included) have tsb's out that specifically state that fluid color alone is NOT a determining factor in if trans fluid is no longer in its useful life. Atf+4 and other newer fluids smell almost like burnt dex3 to unknowing people. Smelling trans fluid is getting to be no longer useful either.

Your best bet is: change the fluid and filter and drive the **** out of it. Nothing you add to the transmission now is going to fix an existing problem, and its not going to keep a failure from happening down the road.

The only product i would ever reccommend using as an additive is lubeguard or dr. Trans. These products are approved by manufactuers as an additive to dex3 to make it compatible with newer fluid specs. (i.e. to make dex3 equivilant to honda atf or to mercon5)

Quick Reply: How do you guys feel about tranny additives? Lucas or others???