Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

How to disconnect rear hatch light sensor?

Old 01-10-2014, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default How to disconnect rear hatch light sensor?

Hi,

First time poster here. I need help with my 1995 Cherokee. The rear hatch (tailgate) has an issue where the interior dome lights won't go off. Sometimes I have to open and close the hatch for the light to turn off. I think the sensor is bad and I'd like to simply disconnect it to keep my interior lights from turning on while driving down the road.

Can anyone tell me if there's a fuse (near the gas brake pedal) that I can just pull out or do I need to actually get inside the rear hatch to cut a wire or something?

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-10-2014, 03:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

No sensor. Dome light(s) are controlled by a switch built into the hatch latch mechanism.

Do all interior lights come on or just cargo area dome?
Old 01-10-2014, 04:28 PM

All interior lights, including the ignition switch light. The sensor problem is definitely in the tailgate. Any suggestions for how to disconnect it?

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Just pull out the bulb.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:36 PM

If the latch switch is your problem, you can disconnect by removing the inner hatch liner and unplugging the connector.

http://teamcherokee.com/tailgate-related-6/

Or just pull the fuse (#9 - 10a in the '93) to turn off all interior lighting.

Are you sure the problem isn't a door switch?
Old 01-10-2014, 04:38 PM

I just crossed w/your and Robert's post.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:41 PM

It's definitely not the driver side or passenger side door causing the problem. I know it's the tailgate that's causing the interior lights to come on.

If I pull the fuses, will that also turn off the dash lights, heat/ac lights, etc?

How difficult is it to remove the latch liner and unplug the connector? This seems like the best option.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:42 PM

I can't pull out a bulb for the ignition switch lamp. If I only pull out the dome bulbs, the battery will still drain because of the ignition switch. Pulling bulbs is not an option in this case.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:06 PM

I've done it several times but not for several years. As I recall it is attaches with clips just like the door panels. I'm not sure you will have to completely remove the panel just to slip your hand in from the bottom and unplug the connector. I know that mine has a couple of screws at the top but I'm pretty sure that's not OEM.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:43 PM

You'll have to excuse me because I'm new to this type of stuff. When you say liner, what are you talking about?
Old 01-10-2014, 06:37 PM

Panel is a better word. The vinyl on fiberboard panels that covers the interior of the doors and tailgate. These are secured with ridged plastic clips that insert into holes in the metal frame of the doors. To loosen them use something with a thin stiff blade such as a putty knife. A dedicated tool is available for this job but I've never had one. I assume you could get one at a parts house.

Start at the bottom. Slip the blade in between the panel and the tailgate frame, slide the blade along until it encounters an obstruction which will be a clip and carefully pry out. Kind of a PIA but not high tech. Note that you want to pry right next to the clip to avoid tearing it out of the fiberboard panel.

There should be a moisture barrier between the panel and the frame. You can pull this loose to gain access to the interior cavity and stick it back on or duct tape if necessary after disconnecting or replacing the latch mechanism. Then just press the panel back into place.

Probably not the best description. Get back if not clear.
Old 02-21-2023, 12:43 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Ok so I’m looking for some similar info as to the original post of this thread. Instead of just disconnecting things is there a way or a part to change to fix this. Like make it work like new again? Is it the latch mechanism is it the harness etc. any help is much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-21-2023, 02:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 399 Likes on 324 Posts
Year: 1988

The switch is part of the liftgate latch.

Based on your prior posts, this is a 1996, correct?

https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/part...ch_hinges.html
Old 02-21-2023, 02:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts
Year: 1995 RHD
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by woodbugger21
Ok so I’m looking for some similar info as to the original post of this thread. Instead of just disconnecting things is there a way or a part to change to fix this. Like make it work like new again? Is it the latch mechanism is it the harness etc. any help is much appreciated. Thanks!
You might be better making your own thread to keep advice simpler but what year XJ do you have?
Old 02-21-2023, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by boxburn
You might be better making your own thread to keep advice simpler but what year XJ do you have?

I was having trouble getting a new thread started for some reason. Maybe cause I’m using my phone???? Or I’m and idiot. Either way. It’s a 96 2-door. Not sure that’ll make a difference

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to disconnect rear hatch light sensor?