Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

how to determine what is bent in front end?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default how to determine what is bent in front end?

96XJ EVERYTHING IS TIGHT deathwobble always 45-55mph. Alignment checks out wheels pointing straight, but it has negative camber, (non adjustable). 2 degrees almost on one side 1.5 on the other.

Jeep has been jumped, diff has made contact with pan/block before, RF alloy wheel shattered hitting a huge hole offroad with speed, And both upper arms were bent, I had custom made oem length ones with poly bushings tube style for uppers, lowers are OK. All the harsh abuse was done by previous owner, he gave it to me for 200.
NO LIFT.

What do you think is bent, the outer knuckles or the whole diff housing?

How could I tell? Visually looks fine no mount brackets are bent. Drives fine. Tracks perfectly straight. just has negative camber.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

You jump the Jeep and the axle makes contact with the engine and a wheel shatters after hitting a hole at speed. I would say everything should be perfectly straight and almost like new.

Are you serious?
Old 06-07-2011, 12:13 PM

Engine: 4.0 I6

I beleive hes in the same situation I am. The PO jumped the rig at some point and hes trying to find out if his axle is bent. Doesnt seem to far fetched of a question and Im sure hes pretty serious as he probly wouldnt waste the time posting. As to the OP I would find a good level surface and grab a tape measure. Check measurements and make sure everything is square, maybe check all angles with an angle finder. I would think the knuckles would give before the tubes bent but check everything. Sorry thats the best help I can give.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by RENIXBEAST
I beleive hes in the same situation I am. The PO jumped the rig at some point and hes trying to find out if his axle is bent. Doesnt seem to far fetched of a question and Im sure hes pretty serious as he probly wouldnt waste the time posting. As to the OP I would find a good level surface and grab a tape measure. Check measurements and make sure everything is square, maybe check all angles with an angle finder. I would think the knuckles would give before the tubes bent but check everything. Sorry thats the best help I can give.
I was told the knuckles give easy and it takes a whole lot to bend the actual diff housing. And the knuckles are designed to have some "give" and will give way long before a differential housing would.

The coil spring doesnt sit straight on its purch. Anotherwords, the springs are bowed and look like this ( I'm going to go ahead and try the knuckle swap, since I have a knuckle readily available here and report back.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:08 PM

Engine: 4.0 I6

I had a bent axle tube on one D30 and a bent inner 'C' on another. It is possible, guess it just depends on how it lands lol hahaha.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

wow, I jumped the crap out of my jeep think winter and never had problems. My record long was 30ft
Old 06-07-2011, 03:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by TheJerm
wow, I jumped the crap out of my jeep think winter and never had problems. My record long was 30ft
My airbag has deployed twice and only one was from a collision. You can only imagine what my XJ has been through. I was told it Cased a jump landing hard on the nose and got set off. the brackets on my seat and various brown stains in my carpet are from going thru water and pouring in the doors most I've ever done was drive over a few snowbanks and a few muddy trails.

Last edited by 88GTBlack; 06-07-2011 at 03:09 PM.