Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

How to change brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Default How to change brakes?

Does anyone know where I could see pictures of putting in new brakes for the front end? Or if someone had a set of instructions on how to do it that would be great. I have a stock jeep and I just want to try and do more general maintenance myself. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:42 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

brakes are mostly designed the same on the front, only composed of a few parts, the rotor, caliper, and pads. Just do a search in google on how to change disk brakes and im sure you will find something
Old 02-25-2010, 04:43 PM

Year: 1994

mayby try getting a chilton book or something simular like that, has very good info and pictures. but sometimes it isnt good enough so you might have to go and google it. or even try youtube.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:44 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996 Limited
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

Jack up the front take your wheels off. Only do one side at a time so you can look at the other to see how it goes back on. Take your caliper off its 2 bolts, then pull it back and it will come off. take your old pads off and compare them to your new ones to get the right ones. Just remember to use like a 2x4 and a C clamp to compressyour caliper back so you can put the new pads on then put the caliper back on and built it back on and do the same on the other side. Once you are doing it you will see its pretty stait forward.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:52 PM

What would be a good brand of pads and rotors to get? We have an Autozone, O'Reillys and MPE motorparts in my city.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:10 PM
CF Veteran

I would go to O'Reillys but thats me. Most of them are good out there.I wouldnt buy the cheap one spend some money. It is your brakes we are talking about. lol But all and all the are all pretty good that I have used. I would say while you are there get a book on it. If you wanna do more and more stuff by yourself it will help you out alot.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:36 PM

Alright that sounds good, thanks!
Old 02-25-2010, 05:47 PM

Sorry about more questions, but how much would be a good amount to spend cuz O'reilly has prices from $15-$70 for pads and $24-$51 for rotor. Also, how can you tell if your caliper is warn or needs to be replaced?
Old 02-25-2010, 06:37 PM

Year: 1996

You can inspect your calipers performance when you have it removed. First look at the pads to see if they are worn unevenly and compare them to the other side, if you have a worn side then you either have a non retracting caliper on that side or a frozen caliper on the other side. If one pad is more worn than it's partner you may have issues with you caliper not being able to slide from side to side. If the caliper does not push back in with the c-clamp it is seized.
When you push the caliper pistons back in open the bleeder valve slightly, this makes it easier to push pack and doesn't push bad fluid back into you master cylinder. You will have to top off the reservoir once your done.

I go with the mid range pads and the cheap rotors. Ceramic pads will eat your rotors.

I recommend using a torque wrench on your lug nuts. On my Audi if I don't torque the lug nuts after my free balance and rotation my rotors will warp if i heat them up by breaking hard.

Break in your brakes softly, no hard stops for about 200 miles, but be safe.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:48 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0l

If your XJ is stock then the premimum pads $35 will work better than the economy pads at $19, I really don't see a need for Ceramic pads unless you beefed up the tires, or lift installed. Auto Zone carry a LLT (life time warrenty) on there brake pads, I have not had to purchase pads for over 10 years. Just take the old ones back and receive new ones. I just purchased rotors and settled for their standard house brand with 1 to 2 year warrenty. Most upper end rotors only have a max 3 year warrenty so I just went for the lower priced rotors. The calipers should be replaced when the piston is sticking and not easy to push back into the caliper. Sometimes brake wear is due to the pins the calipier slide on. They get rusty and stick inside the rubber boots causing the rotors and pads to wear extra fast.

I watched the e-mails from AutoZone, Advanced Auto and other parts suppliers before replacing my front brakes. I was able to order (2) calipers, (2) rotors and (2) rear durms from Advanced Auto for $160. The front brake pads were under warrenty and were free. I replaced the rear durms due to rust and having 140,000 miles on them. Dealer pricing would have run over $500 for what I was able to do at home for $160.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:53 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 H/O I6

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/ba...t-brakes-7143/

pictures and everything. when youre looking for something like this check the how to/ write up section.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:35 PM
CF Veteran

Well there you go a great write up with pics. I just threw it out there i didnt have pics. I think I spend around 25 or 30 bucks on my pads from O'Reillys.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:27 PM

Thanks everyone its a huge help!

Does it mean anything if when I brake firmly from like 50 mph down, it seems like my jeeps wants to pull towards the right. Does that mean I have uneven wear on the pads?

Also, when I look at O'reilly online, it shows rotors that have Limited Lifetime Warranty, does this mean that when they need to be replaced you just bring it in and they will give you a new one?

Last edited by flyfishXJ; 02-25-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:39 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

you might wanna consider replacing the right side. i had a ranger and it was sticking mildly on one side, so i decided to wait until i would need both sides redone. one day i got out to the parking lot from work started the truck and first gear would barely move it.
the calipers seizing is very rare, but it does happen. i mean i thought one in a thousand was a good odd for me to take.
actually, it's a good idea to replace both sides, because the other side might hang down the drain by next week (or might last another 100k miles). JUST MAKE DANG SURE YOU BLEED THEM REALLY WELL. especially if you have ABS.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:52 PM

Does this seem like a pretty good deal? So it includes the caliper and brake pads?

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...3345&ppt=C0066

Quick Reply: How to change brakes?