Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Holy Cheezits this oil filter!!!!

Old 03-12-2018, 10:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default Holy Cheezits this oil filter!!!!

So when i got my first oil change done at jiffy lube (yes i know at the time i couldnt do it myself) everything was dandy as can be till today......... I went to get my oil changed at walmart as i work there and get a discount on it (22 in total for everything not bad) My co workers couldnt get my oil filter to budge at all!!! and being its my car if i work on it ill get fired soooo pretending to work on the car behind in the pit for a stuck filter i went under mine and tried it myself and holy mother of god it wouldnt budge! so after work i called jiffy lube and they came and picked it up and low and behold they couldnt get it either! so very p***** at this point they sent it to a shop and 2 hours later they got it but had to replace the oil filter housing as they sheared the threads off basically so thankfully they covered everything done and gave me a free oil change with whatever i wanted. And the owner of the shop made sure the filter was coming off this time because they had to shell out 800 bucks for it. But my question is How can you get it that stuck. I had some dooseys at work but this was completely new to me never had an entire housing break.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by EEVEE
So when i got my first oil change done at jiffy lube (yes i know at the time i couldnt do it myself) everything was dandy as can be till today......... I went to get my oil changed at walmart as i work there and get a discount on it (22 in total for everything not bad) My co workers couldnt get my oil filter to budge at all!!! and being its my car if i work on it ill get fired soooo pretending to work on the car behind in the pit for a stuck filter i went under mine and tried it myself and holy mother of god it wouldnt budge! so after work i called jiffy lube and they came and picked it up and low and behold they couldnt get it either! so very p***** at this point they sent it to a shop and 2 hours later they got it but had to replace the oil filter housing as they sheared the threads off basically so thankfully they covered everything done and gave me a free oil change with whatever i wanted. And the owner of the shop made sure the filter was coming off this time because they had to shell out 800 bucks for it. But my question is How can you get it that stuck. I had some dooseys at work but this was completely new to me never had an entire housing break.
This is why you do it yourself...

Sorry man... Couldn't help myself... Lol

At least they made it right.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

I think it's a combination of the filter gasket sticking, and the threads tightening up over time. The oil filter is thin metal and hollow, so you can't apply a ton of torque without it deforming

Seriously, hand tight is all you need on an oil filter. Ample oil on the gasket will help it come loose when you remove it.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:19 PM
CF Veteran

Figured as much.... Much like dealer done oil filters GAWD those suck. But yes glad they did too i was shocked much to what you hear about oil places and not honoring their stuff. And Yes at the time i could not do it at all with lack of tools, place to change it and overall health issues at the time that being internal stitches and i was limited with what i can do and stretch and maneuver. (popped a stitch while getting into bed) But now i will either do it myself or at walmart. And YES!!!! hand tight only some people crank these bastards down like its no tomorrow and depends on how i tighten them if its in a very easy to get to spot with good grip such as a few nissan or ford focus locations then ill do per instruction on the filter. But in a very tight or hard to get spot like a chevy cavalier, few buick enclave and equinox and the best car of all a suzuki grand vitara ill make it somewhat a tad bit looser but still good enough so its easy next time. Worst location wise was an 80s toyota pickup omg that took a few minutes to do with big arms and hands. Plus some internal filters done at dealers basically forget about those they broke so much of our ratchets and internal filter cups which incase you didnt know at walmart those are scarce supplies and takes a good 2 weeks to get another one. Whole shop hated me when we got abrand new one and my shop manager said you break this i will skin you about 20 seconds later *snap* ohhhhh i was positive i was gonna have an oil filter shoved down my throat. Because these cups are like plastic and doesnt take much to break. I would hate to imagine what a semi oil filter is like to remove

Edit: I HATE NISSAN TITANS!!!!!
Old 03-13-2018, 07:45 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

No oil on the sealing gasket of the filter.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:17 AM
CF Veteran

Figured as much.... Much like dealer done oil filters GAWD those suck. But yes glad they did too i was shocked much to what you hear about oil places and not honoring their stuff. And Yes at the time i could not do it at all with lack of tools, place to change it and overall health issues at the time that being internal stitches and i was limited with what i can do and stretch and maneuver. (popped a stitch while getting into bed) But now i will either do it myself or at walmart. And YES!!!! hand tight only some people crank these bastards down like its no tomorrow and depends on how i tighten them if its in a very easy to get to spot with good grip such as a few nissan or ford focus locations then ill do per instruction on the filter. But in a very tight or hard to get spot like a chevy cavalier, few buick enclave and equinox and the best car of all a suzuki grand vitara ill make it somewhat a tad bit looser but still good enough so its easy next time. Worst location wise was an 80s toyota pickup omg that took a few minutes to do with big arms and hands. Plus some internal filters done at dealers basically forget about those they broke so much of our ratchets and internal filter cups which incase you didnt know at walmart those are scarce supplies and takes a good 2 weeks to get another one. Whole shop hated me when we got abrand new one and my shop manager said you break this i will skin you about 20 seconds later *snap* ohhhhh i was positive i was gonna have an oil filter shoved down my throat. Because these cups are like plastic and doesnt take much to break. I would hate to imagine what a semi oil filter is like to remove

Edit: I HATE NISSAN TITANS!!!!!
I had to make up my own wrenches with looong handles for big trucks. lol If they are installed correctly they are about as easy as a car filter. But no one ever does this and they come off HARD if they don't, I have had to use two foot cheaters even on my long wrenches many times.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 L6

When I've seen them this bad, they're usually bottomed out so hard that there's metal-to-metal contact between the can and the mounting plate. Having ample oil on the sealing gasket won't help much in that situation.

I've never understood why people think they need to crank everything down like this. I keep oil filter tools around my shop mostly for working on other people's rides.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Year: 1997

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Really? I've been doing that all along and thought I was doing the right thing
Old 03-13-2018, 11:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Guess some shops didnt get the memo on how to replace a filter. Make sure the old gasket is gone and lightly rub a little oil on the new one with a finger tip. Thread the filter on by hand until it seats and give it 1/4 turn. I have never had any issues doing it this way. I have needed a filter strap from time to time, but it never took much effort at all.

My question now is, did they use NEW o-rings on the oil filter adapter?
Old 03-13-2018, 01:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 L6

Originally Posted by Morat
Really? I've been doing that all along and thought I was doing the right thing
I think he was saying the problem was the lack of oil, not that you shouldn't use it.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987

But in a very tight or hard to get spot like a chevy cavalier,
X100 on this. I've changed filters on dozens of different cars but I had no equipment to handle a stupid Pontiac Sunfire. I was showing my daughter's boyfriend how to change his own oil and I couldn't reach or put any kind of wrench on the filter. I changed the oil but said that the next change would have to be a the lube shop.

The Jeep was a piece of cake but I haven't had anyone change oil on a car except me for many years now. Too many places tighten these on way to tight for no reason, or leave the oil cap off after they shut the hood, forget to add oil etc.

Best car is a Pontiac G5 (filter cartridge comes out on top), followed closely by Toyota Sienna. The Toyota even has an engineered piece that allows the oil to drain from the filter holder so that it doesn't drip onto the exhaust manifold or other parts. Nice touch.

Sorry-I know this isn't too Jeep related.

Last edited by 67 GMC; 03-13-2018 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:31 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 67 GMC
X100 on this. I've changed filters on dozens of different cars but I had no equipment to handle a stupid Pontiac Sunfire. I was showing my daughter's boyfriend how to change his own oil and I couldn't reach or put any kind of wrench on the filter. I changed the oil but said that the next change would have to be a the lube shop.

The Jeep was a piece of cake but I haven't had anyone change oil on a car except me for many years now. Too many places tighten these on way to tight for no reason, or leave the oil cap off after they shut the hood, forget to add oil etc.

Best car is a Pontiac G5 (filter cartridge comes out on top), followed closely by Toyota Sienna. The Toyota even has an engineered piece that allows the oil to drain from the filter holder so that it doesn't drip onto the exhaust manifold or other parts. Nice touch.

Sorry-I know this isn't too Jeep related.
omg the top filters are the best! best one ever is the newer subarus that have a little hole to drain back into the pan so theres literally only change and drain then second to some nissan pickups with top filters too. and shockingly sunfires are so rare to see here anymore. And ill be honest im guilty of using no oil on the gasket as i figured the oil on the housing is enough to lube the gasket and cars i done like that for months come off so easily but not to easy just right. And with the o rings they did the whole works its the newest looking part on that side of the engine bay with no leaks at all. they tested it to make sure nothing leaked at all. Which i just may make that my new shop for my alignment and such
Old 03-14-2018, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Originally Posted by cruiser54
This^ I get my oil filters tight with a pair of 460's and they always come off with ease because I take the extra ten seconds it takes to lube the o-ring. PS I only use Channel Locks on cars that have a hard to access oil filter and I don't tighten the living the heck out of them.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:18 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998

Think outside the box. Wrong filter, wrong threads. Mix up with their crap one size fits all filters, metric - SAE. Some gorilla just powered it on. Surprised it didn't leak.

Knucklebuster
Old 03-14-2018, 10:11 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Knucklebuster
Think outside the box. Wrong filter, wrong threads. Mix up with their crap one size fits all filters, metric - SAE. Some gorilla just powered it on. Surprised it didn't leak.

Knucklebuster
Their ad...

"Now hiring lube techs!"

Their interview...

"Have you ever worked on cars before? Never mind, you'll do just fine for minimum wage".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Holy Cheezits this oil filter!!!!