Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Hitch Trouble!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Hitch Trouble!

This afternoon i got my 5ft breaker bar out and broke all 6 bolts holdin my hitch on, off. The hitch was rusted through one side and out the other. I was gonna get a junkyard hitch as early as possible tmw becasue i have to pick up my trailer 3 hours north of here. But i dont see bolting it back on as a possiblitty. The part of the frame it bolts to is boxed in. It looks like id hafta take the rear bumper and shackels off and it still doesnt look possible. Maybe with like a telescoping magnet? If bolting it doesnt work im taking it to my stepdads work to get it welded. For some reason im nervous about welding it, i know its the strongest way to hold. do you guys think it will be alright? Remember it has to pull my trailer full of my crap to FL. next month.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

I wouldnt weld it. If it tears off your gonna tear a part of the unirail with it.

Stop at the dealer and tell them you need a set of nutstrips for the hitch.

You will need to remove the rear bumper, and then slide the nut strips in and rivet to the unirail. If you have someone to help position the nutstrip when you hold the hitch up and insert the bolts you wont need to rivet.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:17 AM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

You can build a set of nut strips by using the old hitch to figure the spacing and you can measure the width. Just use some scrap 3/16 mild steel and drill and then tack weld the nuts to it. Unbolt the rear bumper and remove the old nutstrips and replace them with your homemade ones and you are good to go.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by OverlandXJ
I wouldnt weld it. If it tears off your gonna tear a part of the unirail with it.

Stop at the dealer and tell them you need a set of nutstrips for the hitch.

You will need to remove the rear bumper, and then slide the nut strips in and rivet to the unirail. If you have someone to help position the nutstrip when you hold the hitch up and insert the bolts you wont need to rivet.

Part numbers 52001174 (right) and 52001175 (left). I think they are $27 each.

I think these would fit all years but i'm not totally sure. To get them out, you have to remove the rear bumper. They slide into the frame and also hold the exhaust hanger on there. Use Anti-seize on the new bolts

This is what they look like:
All poopy and rusty:

Sand blasted and new one from dealer: