Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Hi. I have a weird situation!! Need help Please.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Hi. I have a weird situation!! Need help Please.

I have a 98 XJ 4 wheel drive. When I went to replace the belt I loosened the Idler Pulley screw and then started to loosens the Idler tension bolt . I think I may have started counter clock wise witch I believe tightens the belt. The bolt was a little tight but loosened quickly. I was able to take the belt off but after reinstalling the belt I tried to tighten the pulley going clockwise and soon realized that was the wrong way and started screwing it counter clock ways and notice the pull starting to tightening. I keep screwing intel I notice the tensioning bolt rising off of the mount. I pulled up on the pulley and was able to move it up. I guess my question is there some kind of bracket/retainer or something that is supposed to keep the tensioner bolt from moving up and down? Im kind of at a loss and been searching online for help. What do I do???

Last edited by johndgoins; 05-05-2017 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

The lower end of the bolt sits in a hole in the accessory bracket.

Found a pic. Its upside down, but this is whats back there.

Attachment 303547

That small threaded block on the backside the bolt passes thru, and a spacer just behind the pulley on the other side, clamp the bracket to hold tension, by way of the pulley bolt.

Last edited by fb97xj1; 08-10-2018 at 08:00 PM.