Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Hey Rockie; my lower rad hose is chewing my P/S hose!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 03:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Liter High Output
Default Hey Rockie; my lower rad hose is chewing my P/S hose!

Hi Kiddies,

Been replacing my power steering pump today .... all went pretty well.... I didn't develop any multi-syllabic "choice words / thoughts / phrases" during the ordeal.... just got dirty - that's what Go-Jo is for. Ahhhhhhh.... nothing like the fresh lemony smell of CLEAN hands... Hey - I even got the RIGHT part the FIRST time - thank you O'reilly's! Going to replace the serpentine belt while I'm in there... cranked my son's XJ up the other day and his looks like a bomb was set off in the engine bay! O'reilly's got that covered, too!

While inserting my head well withing the confines of the engine compartment, I noticed the lower radiator hose (Dayco 71321) is sitting on the power steering hose. Is this the way Jeeps are made? I guess they're both rubber, but seems to me it could cause a leak at the most inopportune moment. Here's the gnarly conundrum below (picture)...

Lemme know what you think.... going back to O'reilly's tomorrow... think it needs another model of hose?..

Thanks for the read,
Mark near Rome, GA
Attached Thumbnails Hey Rockie; my lower rad hose is chewing my P/S hose!-gnarly-hose-hose.jpeg  
Old 02-28-2017, 03:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Mine in my '00 rubs in the same area. I work in an auto parts store. My boss buys old stock from places. Thinking closing auto parts stores maybe. Anyway he picked up a bunch of radiator hoses. So found one that has the plastic shield, see the link below for a visual, that some of them come with that had a similar diameter and bend. He let me have it and I put it around my lower hose at the place it rubs.

Amazon Amazon
Old 02-28-2017, 03:44 PM

Thanks, Ralph for the quick reply!! That ribbed jobber-do at Amazon looks like it would be JUST the thing I need. OR.... maybe cut up an old hose and plastic tie-wrap it around the hose? Maybe I need to order some brown-dog motor mounts.... old mounts could be a little sloppy...?
Old 02-28-2017, 03:50 PM
CF Veteran

Glad to help. Gotta figure you can find some plastic in the boneyard off a radiator hose. I would tell you what car the one I used came from but it never occurred to me to look up the part number and see what applications it was for. I just saw the box of hoses when he got them, some with the plastic, and went oohhh I have an idea.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:01 PM

An idea, Ralph?.....
Old 02-28-2017, 07:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Mine was rubbing badly also. I was replacing it last week because the run spot got so soft it was collapsing. The new hose was binding there as well. I rectified the situation by trimming the hose where it attaches to the water pump. Probably trimmed about 1/2" off before I was able to fully install without any contact between the two lines. Wallah
Old 03-01-2017, 01:07 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by loveoldtrux
An idea, Ralph?.....
I don't understand the question.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Mine is not rubbing. I have a 90 4.0l 4WD. When I installed new hoses on my steering box, I rotated the line away from the radiator hose before tightening.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:35 AM

Ralph --- your last comment ended with "...and went oohhh I have an idea....", so I was just wondering what your idea was.

Just ordered some Brown Dog mounts.... I think before I modify anything I'm going to replace the motor mounts first. Thanks guys for checking your p/s hose interference for me, though... I'll update this post once I get them replaced...
Old 03-01-2017, 01:06 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by tacklebox
The new hose was binding there as well. I rectified the situation by trimming the hose where it attaches to the water pump. Probably trimmed about 1/2" off before I was able to fully install without any contact between the two lines. Wallah
A lot of the aftermarket hoses are too long. I usually end up trimming them.

That upper hose linked above has the protection sleeve on it for where it rests on top of the AC compressor. If you can't find one of those in a junk yard, you might see if you can find something similar at Lowe's or Home Depot. I swear I think I have seen that stuff there.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:11 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Check the motormounts yet?
Old 03-01-2017, 02:16 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by loveoldtrux
Ralph --- your last comment ended with "...and went oohhh I have an idea....", so I was just wondering what your idea was.

Just ordered some Brown Dog mounts.... I think before I modify anything I'm going to replace the motor mounts first. Thanks guys for checking your p/s hose interference for me, though... I'll update this post once I get them replaced...
My idea was to use one of the plastic pieces on the radiator hose to stop from rubbing where your and mine do. I knew they were close when I put new hoses on. But did not come up with the idea of the plastic till my boss walked in with that box of old stock radiator hoses with the plastic on some of them. That is when the cartoon lightbulb above my head went on.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:57 AM

Hi Diskman - the new Browndogs won't be in probably for several weeks :-(
Old 03-02-2017, 12:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

I replaced my power steering lines recently and the new one was rubbing in the same spot. I bent the hard-line a bit so it would have some clearance and all is well