Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Here we go again! XJ #2

Old 07-08-2016, 08:04 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Here we go again! XJ #2

Hi all,

Possibly picking up my second XJ today/this weekend, the build thread in my sig is the first one. This one is almost identical, 2000 XJ with a knocking 4.0L, auto trans, 4x4. Guy already has a new engine from a 99 XJ that goes with it, $700 for the whole thing with new engine.

It's a little under an hour away, how should I go about getting it home? Full on tow truck? rent a full trailer and call a friend with a truck? tow dolly?

Guy says it still starts up but it knocks and I think he said one of the thermostat bolts broke off. Maybe I'll throw the new engine in the back, call AAA and say it's suddenly knocking?
Old 07-08-2016, 08:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Will it drive? I'd see if I can drive it home. If it ****s on the way, go to plan B. Friend's truck with a U-haul trailer. Start out tomorrow morning with a U haul trailer on hold. Have the friend drive you up there in his truck. Might be able to save the $75 trailer rental fee. Worse case, costs you a couple extra hours.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

I would just use a tow-dolly or trailer. If it runs, its way easier to get it on a trailer compared to pushing it.

Just rent one of those cheaper tow-dollies from U-Haul and pull the rear driveshaft out for the tow home. IMO - thats the minimal effort way.

If you roll the dice and it dies on you in a sketchy spot, you might have trouble loading it on the trailer or get stuck somewhere with lots of traffic
Old 07-08-2016, 06:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1997

Originally Posted by investinwaffles
I would just use a tow-dolly or trailer. If it runs, its way easier to get it on a trailer compared to pushing it.

Just rent one of those cheaper tow-dollies from U-Haul and pull the rear driveshaft out for the tow home. IMO - thats the minimal effort way.

If you roll the dice and it dies on you in a sketchy spot, you might have trouble loading it on the trailer or get stuck somewhere with lots of traffic
this x2.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:51 AM
Seasoned Member

Agreed, thanks for your help guys. I bought it last night for $700, it's in pretty good shape overall. I'll take some pics when I get it home.

Right now it looks like I'm going to rent a full trailer from U-haul and have my uncle tow it back. Anyone know if a 4.0L will fit in the back of an XJ? probably with the back seats folded down and some plywood on the floor? I don't think there will be enough room on the trailer for the engine and Jeep
Old 07-09-2016, 06:30 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by t.mcginley.jr
Agreed, thanks for your help guys. I bought it last night for $700, it's in pretty good shape overall. I'll take some pics when I get it home. Right now it looks like I'm going to rent a full trailer from U-haul and have my uncle tow it back. Anyone know if a 4.0L will fit in the back of an XJ? probably with the back seats folded down and some plywood on the floor? I don't think there will be enough room on the trailer for the engine and Jeep
Since you're towing with your friends truck, put the engine in the bed of the truck. Much easier than trying to slide that greasy mass of iron through your hatch.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1997

Originally Posted by t.mcginley.jr
Anyone know if a 4.0L will fit in the back of an XJ? probably with the back seats folded down and some plywood on the floor? I don't think there will be enough room on the trailer for the engine and Jeep
yes, it will fit. it'll be a pain to situate, but there's plenty of room. I managed to get a lsx engine and 2 4L60e transmissions in the back of mine.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Got it home! What a pain in the ***. No dice putting the other engine in the bed of my friends truck, he has a nice truck cap and the whole bed is carpeted, he uses it for moving furniture so it can't get too dirty.

We did manage to get the engine into the back of the XJ though. Backed the Jeep up to the concrete slab the guy had it sitting on, put some chains on it, laid plywood down in the back with the seats down, but there wasn't enough room to get the engine + hoist past the hatch opening. So we managed to get the deep part of the oil pan in, lowered the hoist, and then shoved it the rest of the way in and leaned it against the side.

Then had to get the XJ onto the trailer.... keep in mind most of the front is disconnected. No air box, no radiator, no belt, no thermostat housing, water pump unbolted... so barely any power, or brakes, or steering. Got it half way onto the trailer and needed a come-along to get it the rest of the way.

Roof paint is shot, I'll just repaint it black

Broken thermostat bolt, someone tried to weld another bolt to it but failed

Last edited by t.mcginley.jr; 07-11-2016 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:16 PM
Seasoned Member

And this is the "new" engine from 99 XJ with ~90k miles on it. I will have to swap over the coil-on-plug assembly and cam synchronizer since this is a distributor motor.