Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Help: source for replacment 89 XJ LTD OEM Fog Lamps

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 12:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 89
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: I-6, 4l
Default Help: source for replacment 89 XJ LTD OEM Fog Lamps

Hi Guys:

Hoping someone can offer some advice on this:

I need to replace the OEM Factory Fog lamps on my 89 XJ limited (2 door) which are a) cracked, and b) full of water (ahh, life on the we(s)t coast). These lamps are the ones that are located on top of the front bumper (see generic photo below). I found some at RockAuto that are supposed to be OEM replacements but at about $56 cdn each (plus shipping), that's a bit harsh. Wondering if anyone has a recommendation on a good set of, reasonably priced replacements (or better a LED replacement that throws out plenty of light).

Thanks for any advice.

PS: I'm located in Vancouver BC if that makes a difference.

Last edited by Bucko; 12-04-2015 at 12:40 AM.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by Bucko
Hi Guys:

Hoping someone can offer some advice on this:

I need to replace the OEM Factory Fog lamps on my 89 XJ limited (2 door) which are a) cracked, and b) full of water (ahh, life on the we(s)t coast). These lamps are the ones that are located on top of the front bumper (see generic photo below). I found some at RockAuto that are supposed to be OEM replacements but at about $56 cdn each (plus shipping), that's a bit harsh. Wondering if anyone has a recommendation on a good set of, reasonably priced replacements (or better a LED replacement that throws out plenty of light).

Thanks for any advice.

PS: I'm located in Vancouver BC if that makes a difference.
I'm in the same boat with my 88 Wagoneer, been trying to find some affordable replacements
Old 12-04-2015, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by 89cherokeedave
I'm in the same boat with my 88 Wagoneer, been trying to find some affordable replacements
EDIT: Don't buy the ones linked below - they're crap! See the update a couple of posts below.

Hi Dave:

Not sure where you're located but I found a pair of square, black trimmed fog lamps today at Princess auto for $19. (same ones as shown here: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Blazer-OE-...t-Kit/15111229 ) I would have preferred clear (as opposed to yellow) and I'm not sure the quality is awesome but they'll do for now (haven't installed them yet of course - hopefully this weekend - so time will tell). I also found some cheap 100w spot lamps that I think would work better (in terms of light output) but I wasn't sure if the OEM relay would handle that much power and if they might be too bright for highway use.

Last edited by Bucko; 12-06-2015 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12-05-2015, 03:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1989 Limited
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I-6 4.0L AMC Renix

Hey I have an '89 limited too but it's the 4 door! And I'm modding my fog lights to fit these led's with a projector lens tip so I am more visible when I go off roading because it's easier to see white LED's in a thick plume of dust from the trail. I know they are more visible than mine because of the oncoming buggy that I had to swerve of the trail to avoid because my halogen lights blended in with the color of the dust. Very but funny we're both doing stuff to our fog lights on the same year and sub model!
Old 12-06-2015, 10:43 PM

OK:

I put the new fog lights in today. What a pain in the ***! I couldn't get the old ones off as they were 'welded' on with rust. Ended up pulling the bumper to get better access - would have made things a lot easier if I had just done that in the first place (the last time I replaced the fog lights I did not remove the bumper)

Now to the lamps: they're absolute crap! Not worth the $19 I paid for them. They're in and working (even thought one H4 bulb was dead right out of the package) but they don't put out much light. They're not a sealed H4 lamp, that is: the front glass come off and mates to the reflector with a questionable gasket. When mounted they're also very close to the grill - I would have preferred to have a little more room for adjustment. In any case, I don't think they'll last long but I guess they'll do until I get a real set.

Also found I have an intermittent fog lamp switch so have to deal with that now. I think I read somewhere they can be disassembled and the contacts cleaned.

Last edited by Bucko; 12-06-2015 at 10:47 PM.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

for 97 us you can get these http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...k-Plstc-55w-pr
Old 12-07-2015, 05:31 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

If you're not willing to pay a solid price for some quality lamps, you may as well not even replace them. Fog lights are of dubious use even when they are high quality with the proper pattern and aim. Buying cheap ones just for the sake of having them while pinching pennies is pointless.

I guarantee you'll learn a ton in a matter of minutes if you read this link.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...fog_lamps.html
Old 12-08-2015, 07:17 PM

My own experience is that I find the fog lights very helpful when night driving in Vancouver's typically rainy conditions - at least the OEM fog lamps were helpful. I'll be out for a drive tonight to test out the crappy replacements.