Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Help with repairs

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: N/A
Default Help with repairs

Hey guys,

I recently got ahold of a full copy PDF of the Cherokee XJ, mine is a 1994 XJ, 2WD, 4.0L, IL6, got a few requests as I'm completely new to vehicle teching and having started from scratch to what I know today.

My brother in law specializes in jeep, having a 1990 XJ he's dropped $30,000~ and done all of the upgrades and repairs himself, he is a very recourse full person when he isn't at work.

My questions is-

1) Where can I get a complete seal and gasket replacement kit? My jeep sat for years and me and my brother in law are troubleshooting every problem as they come, and right now, the majority are from leaks and what we presume to be from being dormant 8+ years under the hot Galveston, Texas sun. I'm having to put new fluids in (Oil, PS Fluid) every other week, and it's gradually draining worse. So he predicts dry rotted seals and gaskets. I have a decent flow of money, I'll start there.

2) Second, this isn't exactly OEM, but I'd like to maybe play with a digital dash conversion for my gauge cluster, like the new vehicles have where it's all digital, if that's a possible conversion. If not, break it to me, and I'll move on.

3) I'd like a smoother ride, and as I research and research, I'm just sent off into more confusing paths, so I'm hoping for some help here. I want just smoothness, but can I still have smoothness with a 3.5 inch lift kit?

4) The wires under the hood are trash. I mean, they work, but I'd really have peace at mind if there was a practical and somewhat simple way to replace all the wires with new wires and relocate them where they aren't loosely hanging in the air.

I'll add more as I can think of it.

Thank you so much in advance guys. Greatly appreciated.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

Get a Felpro complete engine rebuilding gasket kit. It'll have everything in there you might need.

I would start with easier stuff than tearing out wiring, and trying to convert to a digital cluster.

An XJ can ride relatively well with good shocks and suspension. Stock ride height and stock 225/75R15 street radials. However, it is a 32+ year old design, that is narrow with a short wheelbase. It will never ride like a modern vehicle.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

^ X2 ^

Also at that age plan on a new radiator, water pump, fan clutch, thermostat, complete cooling system/heater core clean/flush.

As for wiring consider a simple HD high quality kit from XJwonders (a member here) for the battery, alt, grounds all need to be replaced, that along with a headlight wiring harness like a Putco will be a big help also.

As far as the lift goes yes a good ride can be had with one in the 3-4 1/2" range using long arms and high quality shocks. These are usually not found in a single kit but from several different vendors.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: N/A

Originally Posted by Firestorm500
Get a Felpro complete engine rebuilding gasket kit. It'll have everything in there you might need.

I would start with easier stuff than tearing out wiring, and trying to convert to a digital cluster.

An XJ can ride relatively well with good shocks and suspension. Stock ride height and stock 225/75R15 street radials. However, it is a 32+ year old design, that is narrow with a short wheelbase. It will never ride like a modern vehicle.
So, it IS possible to put in a Digital Cluster like newer vehicles have??????

And Thanks for the Felpro.

So, as I said, I grew up never being exposed to working on vehicles until just recently a few months ago when I got this jeep and had to learn to fix it on my own with no previous auto-tech experience.

Cringy question 1) Is there a difference between Radials and all terrains?

Cringy Question 2) Is there a difference between suspension lift and a lift-lift, if so, which is cheaper, or which is smoother?

Cringy Question 3) Are there any "drop, Plug N' Play" AC systems? And new vents and better, harder, colder airflow modifications?

Serious question 1) Both driver and passenger doors leak from a gap between the door and body on the tip top of the door. Everytime it rains or I run a wash on it, my carpets and seats get soaked. How to fix?

Random concern) Would changing the fusebox and fuses be worth it, both under the hood and foot panel?
Old 05-10-2016, 07:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

All-terrain refers to the tread design, and intended use of the tire.

Radial refers to the way the tire is constructed inside with the various belts in a certain position. Most everything you run into will be a steel-belted radial. Don't buy anything that's not for your Jeep.