Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

help please - uk XJ not playing...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default help please - uk XJ not playing...

Hi all,

Apologies for joining and straight away asking for help, but... I hope somebody can help coz im out of ideas...

Car was running fine until ~ 4 weeks ago when dials went AWOL. Pulled out cluster, in an attempt to get them back, car then wouldn't start.

TSB completed for dials / airbag light - cluster plug changed.

Car all good for 1 day - then stalled shortly after cold crank, now no start (no crank) & no dials (fuel, oil, tacho, speedo all out). - symptoms as before TSB. Have tried remaking connection, no change.

Security light illuminated

Assuming signals all are passed on CCD bus , so checked for voltage on CCD bus - looking at past posts was expecting 2.5v? but (with cluster unplugged) got:

CCD showing 9v at cluster both + & -, unplugged EMS changed to 10+ & 5 - (measured pin 9 to 1&2)

OBD connector showing 11v on pins 3 to 4/5 and 11 to 4/5.

Appreciate any help...
Old 01-05-2015, 12:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

What exactly do you have? Year?
Old 01-05-2015, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Radi
What exactly do you have? Year?
Sorry.... 4.0l auto - facelift, 1996.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:19 AM

Default Anyone able to help?

Hi all - can anybody give me any guidance or ideas on this? - really pulling my hair out....
Old 01-06-2015, 11:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

It seems your UK '96 is different than the US '96 I'm familiar with, but I did have a thought- you might dry disconnecting the sensors attached to the CCD bus one by one to see if the gauges come back. CPS first, I believe I've read of that one pulling the bus down if it fails and causing your symptoms. No start, no gauges..
Old 01-18-2015, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Radi
It seems your UK '96 is different than the US '96 I'm familiar with, but I did have a thought- you might dry disconnecting the sensors attached to the CCD bus one by one to see if the gauges come back. CPS first, I believe I've read of that one pulling the bus down if it fails and causing your symptoms. No start, no gauges..
Right - quick update (and sorry for time taken, been waiting for CPS to be delivered to Jeep UK).

Ok - taking above advice, unplugged CPS - car cranked - Fantastic. Plugged it back in, it cranked, ran for 2 seconds and then died. I put this down to ECU shutting down after bad signal from CPS. So ordered genuine Mopar CPS - £124 if anyone is interested , and fitted it today. End result - back to original symptoms no crank and security light whether CPS is connected or not.

So - need to start going through this more methodically - really cant afford to throw parts at it at the that cost!

Based on previous advise, i need to disconnect CCD components 1 by 1 - does anybody have a list of these components? or any other process to work through?

Thanks in advance

Greg
Old 01-18-2015, 11:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Security light? What security light? Do you have an aftermarket security system installed, or a factory security system? I didn't think the Sentry Key Immobilizer System went back to '96, but Export Jeeps may have had it.

A security/anti-theft system may be causing your problem.

Anyway, here's a schematic of the OBD-II CCD Bus.

Name:  CCDBusrev1_11_15.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  524.8 KB

Note that when checking the CCD Bus the instrument cluster must be installed.

You can check the termination resistors in the instrument cluster and the PCM by removing the battery negative post connector, and using a digital Ohmmeter, read between DLC pin cavities 3 and 11. You should see 60 Ohms. If you see 120 Ohms it means one of the termination resistors is not on the Bus.

Reconnect the battery.

Turn the ignition switch to ON. Do not crank engine.

Using a digital Voltmeter, touch DLC pin cavity 3 (+) and pin cavity 4 and/or 5 (-). You shouldread around 2.5 volts. Repeat going from pin cavity 11 to 4 and/or 5, again 2.5 volts. See lmitations on the schematic.

Do not remove the instrument cluster when trying to isolate modules.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by CCKen
Security light? What security light? Do you have an aftermarket security system installed, or a factory security system? I didn't think the Sentry Key Immobilizer System went back to '96, but Export Jeeps may have had it.

You can check the termination resistors in the instrument cluster and the PCM by removing the battery negative post connector, and using a digital Ohmmeter, read between DLC pin cavities 3 and 11. You should see 60 Ohms. If you see 120 Ohms it means one of the termination resistors is not on the Bus.

Reconnect the battery.

Using a digital Voltmeter, touch DLC pin cavity 3 (+) and pin cavity 4 and/or 5 (-). You shouldread around 2.5 volts. Repeat going from pin cavity 11 to 4 and/or 5, again 2.5 volts. See lmitations on the schematic.

Many thanks - that gives me plenty to work with - the security light is in the cluster (top left) there is i believe an after market security system fitted to euro imports so may end up being that.... pretty sure it isn't sentry system as it is a 'standard' ie dumb key... one thing for sure is that whatever it is it's dropping in and out..

Greg
Old 02-01-2015, 03:59 AM

Reconnect the battery.

Ok - based on the above really useful info, i've worked through it this morning. Termination resistors checked out ok but bus was sat at 10.5v on both + & -.

Tried isolating every module i thought i had on my car (on the bus diagram) but apart from a drop to 9v when PCM was disconnected, no joy.

SO..... i did a fuse pull - and found the culprit at Fuse 15 - 25 Amp Passenger power lock/window switch - Located top right column in fuse bank.

Pulled this and bus went straight back to 2.5v.

Now not totally sure what to look for - i guess i've got a RKE module somewhere (would make sense as i've got a remote fob) but not sure where it is! and don't really want to start pulling door apart unless i have to.

Also of note - whilst i was lying in the footwell i kept hearing a/some door solenoids firing - every couple of minutes......

Guidance requested!

Thanks again,

Greg

Last edited by gregs; 02-01-2015 at 04:04 AM.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Year: 1997

UK XJs had an immobiliser fitted by the importer, which had a light on the dash like a key with a line through it. I don't know any details myself but I did come across a few references to it when searching online for my CEL flash problem. Sorry. I didn't save any links because it wasn't related to my issue but if you search you'll find some info.

All I can remember is that it was a bit of a bodge job and was/is powered from the feed for the rear wiper.

UK 96 is like any other - a transition year.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:08 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by gregs
Ok - based on the above really useful info, i've worked through it this morning. Termination resistors checked out ok but bus was sat at 10.5v on both + & -.

Tried isolating every module i thought i had on my car (on the bus diagram) but apart from a drop to 9v when PCM was disconnected, no joy.

SO..... i did a fuse pull - and found the culprit at Fuse 15 - 25 Amp Passenger power lock/window switch - Located top right column in fuse bank.

Pulled this and bus went straight back to 2.5v.

Now not totally sure what to look for - i guess i've got a RKE module somewhere (would make sense as i've got a remote fob) but not sure where it is! and don't really want to start pulling door apart unless i have to.

Also of note - whilst i was lying in the footwell i kept hearing a/some door solenoids firing - every couple of minutes......

Guidance requested!

Thanks again,

Greg
The RKE Module is located n your mini dome light (or console if you have one).
Old 02-01-2015, 06:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Did you check for codes ?
Old 02-01-2015, 10:58 AM

The RKE Module is located n your mini dome light (or console if you have one).
Thanks Ken - that was what i'd got to, but the overhead console is already out... and doesn't have any modules in/on it.

In case it makes any difference, the key & fob look like this

So i guess i'm asking where the receiver is for this.

Greg
Old 02-01-2015, 11:19 AM
CF Veteran

You my have an Infrared RKE system?

Look through this thread and see if it makes sense to you, concerning the IR RKE system.

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=125202

Here's another IR thread.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/key...ared-rf-32178/

Last edited by CCKen; 02-01-2015 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:24 AM
CF Veteran

My '99 has the RKE Module in my dome light.

Name:  DSCF2640.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  879.4 KB

Name:  DSCF2637.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  951.9 KB