Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Help with noise after leaf spring replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Help with noise after leaf spring replacement

Hello all. I replaced my worn out leaf springs a month or so ago and since then I’ve been noticing a grinding type noise when I’m decelerating. It is really noticeable when going under 55. From what I’ve read on here this seems to come up more often when a lift is installed and seems to be from the changed angle of the drive shaft. I did not install a lift, just replaced stock for stock. Could this still be the case and I need new U joints? Thanks.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by .45seg
Hello all. I replaced my worn out leaf springs a month or so ago and since then I’ve been noticing a grinding type noise when I’m decelerating. It is really noticeable when going under 55. From what I’ve read on here this seems to come up more often when a lift is installed and seems to be from the changed angle of the drive shaft. I did not install a lift, just replaced stock for stock. Could this still be the case and I need new U joints? Thanks.
ill say driveshaft ujoints..if your old leafs were sagging, the new leafs almost act like a lift and the ujoinyd are noe not in the oosition they wore into.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:38 PM

Thanks. That seemed to be the trend, but everything I was reading had to do with actually lifting the Jeep. I will say that it seems to have gotten a little worse after I installed the new transmission and motor mounts this weekend, so that would seem to be more of an indication of worn U-joints.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987

Could also be closer to the differential. Maybe the pinion bearing under the yoke?
Old 03-06-2018, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by 67 GMC
Could also be closer to the differential. Maybe the pinion bearing under the yoke?
I was thinking that could be a possibility as well. The pinion seal is leaking a little and needs to be replaced. I might just have to break down and replace the bearing as well.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987

I was thinking that could be a possibility as well. The pinion seal is leaking a little and needs to be replaced. I might just have to break down and replace the bearing as well.
There's some decent how-to videos on youtube.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:24 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Did you torque down the leaf spring bolts before or after you took it for a short drive?
Old 03-10-2018, 12:38 PM

I torqued them before I took it for a drive and then again after about 500 miles.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:32 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I torqued them before I took it for a drive and then again after about 500 miles.
Did you torque them with the Jeep sitting on the ground/suspension loaded?

If not, they're gonna bind like hell.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:44 PM

Yeah, Jeep was on the ground. The only ones I torqued not on the ground were the u-bolts.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:29 PM

So I wanted to give a little update on this. I ended up taking my Jeep to the local off-road shop to get some help diagnosing this noise. They said the chain in the transfer case has stretched and needs to be replaced. So it looks like I’m going to be rebuilding my transfer case. I was afraid it was the transfer case since I could feel some vibration under the driver side floorboard. Oh well, the good news is that I get to learn how to rebuild a 231. 😁
Old 04-29-2018, 05:24 PM

Another update. I replaced both u-joints in the rear drive shaft and replaced the drive chain in the transfer case and the noise is still there. I guess my only other option is to check the rearend. Oh well, my wife’s recommendation is to drive it until it breaks and then I’ll know for sure where the noise was coming from. All I know is I’m tired of listening to it and I’m tired of throwing parts at it.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:18 PM

Year: 1998

Another update. I replaced both u-joints in the rear drive shaft and replaced the drive chain in the transfer case and the noise is still there. I guess my only other option is to check the rearend. Oh well, my wife’s recommendation is to drive it until it breaks and then I’ll know for sure where the noise was coming from. All I know is I’m tired of listening to it and I’m tired of throwing parts at it.
That's what I do, well I wait until the noise gets loud so I either me or a shop can easily locate the problem. Just to give you an example my mgm had annoying squeak that neither me or my mechanic could locate over the past month the squeak got much louder and I was able to pinpoint it to the hood. Noise is fixed now but I drove around 10k until I could hear it with the windows up and the radio blaring Metallica.

Anyways if you suspect it's the differential I would try changing the fluid. Old fluid will make differentials noisy from my experience. Jeeps are noisy by design so it will never be as quiet as a sedan just something to keep in mind. Mind makes all kind of noises and it's in tip top mechanical condition (besides and axle u-joint). I used to think my steering was messed up until a mechanic basically said suck it up or drive something else (he test drove it and checked all my suspension parts plus did a proper alignment with 1/16 toe in).
Old 04-29-2018, 08:00 PM

dragging brake drums im not sure if you took those off but could have switched left with right and have different wear in them.. just a suggestion

marc
Old 04-30-2018, 06:48 AM

I didn’t mess with the brakes any when I did the leaf spring replacement. I have a feeling it’s in the rearend though. I just need to pull the cover off and see what it looks like. If it’s bearings, I can do the others and inners, but I don’t have the tools to do the pinion bearing.

kbeam, I’m not too worried about most of the noises on this thing. It creeks and squeaks like crazy, but this is something a little different. I’ve also never been able to deal with a vehicle that leaks, but I’ve come to realize that I’m just going to have to deal with it if I want to own a Jeep.

Quick Reply: Help with noise after leaf spring replacement