Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Help needed over heating issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: INLINE 6 CYL 242 CU. IN.
Default Help needed over heating issues

I HAVE A 95 CHEROKEE XJ HIGH OUTPUT 4.0 ENG. 6CYL, AUTOMATIC WITH OVER HEATING ISSUES, I HAVE SINCE REPLACED THE CYLINDER HEAD, WATER PUMP, THERMOSTAT HOUSING WITHOUT THE THERMOSTAT AND THE RADIATOR AND HOSES, BUT I CONTINUE TO HAVE THIS PROBLEM I AM NOW AT A LOST WHAT ELSE TO DO ANY SUGGESTIONS

Last edited by MAVERICK1231; 05-15-2016 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2004 WJ, 1998 XJ
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.7 HO

What made you replace the cylinder head? Fan clutch working properly? Burp the system properly?

I am guessing no leaks, just overheating? Did you flush the heater core?
Old 05-16-2016, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by rgr4475
What made you replace the cylinder head? Fan clutch working properly? Burp the system properly?

I am guessing no leaks, just overheating? Did you flush the heater core?

It was blocked up pretty bad the previous owner used water instead of coolant and I had the previous cylinder head flush and machine but they never flush the engine block. **** me off so I did it over myself and replaced the cylinder all to specs.
system burped and electric fan works properly

Last edited by MAVERICK1231; 05-16-2016 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

how is it over heating? At idle or while driving? Do you have just the electric fan running at all times or do you have multiple electric fans? Do you still have the mechanical fan clutch attached to the accessory belt? I see that you are in a tropical climate you should not be running without the t-stat as that regulates the temp inside the engine and could cause it to over heat. Its purpose it to keep the coolant inside the radiator longer to dissipate the heat.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by dans98xj
how is it over heating? At idle or while driving? Do you have just the electric fan running at all times or do you have multiple electric fans? Do you still have the mechanical fan clutch attached to the accessory belt? I see that you are in a tropical climate you should not be running without the t-stat as that regulates the temp inside the engine and could cause it to over heat. Its purpose it to keep the coolant inside the radiator longer to dissipate the heat.
It over heats when I start driving. Thanks for the tips I have received alot already and one of them is the T-stat which I will reinstall along with changing the radiator cap to 16psi
Old 05-16-2016, 02:58 PM

if it is overheating wile you are driving then with the cap and t-stat check and make sure you don't have anything stuck between the condenser and radiator or that it is not caked with mud or sand. Also it might be good to remove the trans lines out of the radiator loop and into their own cooler. The additional heat from the trans can cause the coolant temp to rise. It happened to me once that is why I bypassed my internal trans cooler in the radiator.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by dans98xj
if it is overheating wile you are driving then with the cap and t-stat check and make sure you don't have anything stuck between the condenser and radiator or that it is not caked with mud or sand. Also it might be good to remove the trans lines out of the radiator loop and into their own cooler. The additional heat from the trans can cause the coolant temp to rise. It happened to me once that is why I bypassed my internal trans cooler in the radiator.
I never thought about, thank you. that is another option I will address.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:54 PM

Good day gentlemen here is an update on what I have done so far I have made all the recommended changes, I reinstalled the mechanical fan along with a electrical fan, installed the thermostat along with a 13 psi radiator cap. engine is quite cool at idle for about 2 hours. when I started driving everything was very good until after ann hour the transmission starting shifting hard and when I put it in park it starting pushing coolant back up the reservoir but cooled down again in about 30 to 40 mins. going to installed the transmission cooler to see if that makes a difference.

Last edited by MAVERICK1231; 06-01-2016 at 02:01 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 02:15 PM

glad to see you are making progress. when you install the trans cooler don't put it in series with the radiator cooler. leave the trans cooler as a stand alone item. and get your self some gauges to put on the trans lines so you can monitor the temps going in and out of the trans.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:49 AM

Default Cover heating threatment

Has anyone ever heard of bluedevil solution that threat engines for over heating, warp engine blocks
Old 07-08-2016, 02:52 PM

Hi guys here is and update on the over heating issues, after I replaced the radiator cap with a 13 psi cap, rerouted the transmission to it's own cooler with a fan, installed the thermostat and installed the mechanical and electrical fan, and it still over heats when I start driving or if its idling for over and hour and pushes the coolant back up the reservoir. when I check the transmission cooler and radiator is very hot.

I was told by a mechanic that the engine block is warped or cracked

anyone have any suggestion. I dont want to put no more money into a sinking ship

Last edited by MAVERICK1231; 07-08-2016 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

pushes the coolant back up the reservoir. when I check the transmission cooler and radiator is very hot.

anyone have any suggestion. I dont want to put no more money into a sinking ship[/QUOTE]
No offense, but If you're paying someone to do the work, is pretty tough to figure out from where I stand.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by 97grand4.0
pushes the coolant back up the reservoir. when I check the transmission cooler and radiator is very hot.

anyone have any suggestion. I dont want to put no more money into a sinking ship
No offense, but If you're paying someone to do the work, is pretty tough to figure out from where I stand.[/QUOTE]

Not tough at all to figure out, I did all the work myself just asked for a second opinion from a more experience jeep mechanic
Old 07-09-2016, 08:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L H.O.

What is the actual temp when it's overheating? Verified, or just going off the gauge?

My two cents;

1) did you put the fan shroud on?

2) what temp tstat? 195 is ideal.

3) is it an oem radiator, or one of those godawful parts store units?

4) are the radiator fins straight and free of bugs/debris?

5) is your fuel system running at proper pressure/o2 sensors in good shape? Running lean will raise temps.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:13 AM

Actual temperaturewas at 290F gauged and verified I just watched it as it creep up when I started driving and the transmissions gets hard to shift as it goes up

1) shroud is on

2) It is a stant 197 tstat which was recommended

3) it is a two row after market aluminum radiator(new)

4) Radiator fins are in good condition and is clean (it is a brand new radiator)

5) Fuel system is good new pump installed, it starts on one crank, installed a brand new o2 sensor

Quick Reply: Help needed over heating issues