Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

HELP jeep dying while driving.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default HELP jeep dying while driving.

I have a 96 xj with 250xxx miles. Just replaced the CPS on it along with fuel pump. Randomly died while driving, someone help!
Old 02-28-2017, 12:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

what fuel pump and what CPS did you get? Do you have fuel pressure at the rail? Do you have good voltage at the battery and is there spark?
Old 03-01-2017, 07:06 PM

Id check your dizzy, dizzy cap, and rotor. Had a bronco 2 that would die after driving for 15-30mins. After replacing the coil pack, plugs, wires, rotor, and dizzy, I found that the cap was cracked (never saw it), and after heating up would keep the rotor from hitting its points.

On a side note, I have all 3 components for cheap if you want em. PM me.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

When it died what was missing fuel or spark?
Old 03-02-2017, 07:40 AM

Question turbo - how is one to tell what is missing after it dies? Im assuming if the spark or fuel remains gone for a bit you can spray some starter fluid in the intake and that'll tell ya. But what if its a connection or something that only cause a quick problem killing the engine and then will start right back up?
Old 03-02-2017, 07:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by Billy Bee
Question turbo - how is one to tell what is missing after it dies? Im assuming if the spark or fuel remains gone for a bit you can spray some starter fluid in the intake and that'll tell ya. But what if its a connection or something that only cause a quick problem killing the engine and then will start right back up?
If the engine just cranks and under hood it smells like a gas station ready to explode there's probably no spark. If when cranking there is any type of pop or sputter out the engine there's probably no/not enough fuel.

"But what if its a connection or something that only cause a quick problem killing the engine and then will start right back up?"

Try shaking the under hood harness or fool with the ignition switch for yuks and see it it starts. If it does it could die out again as soon as you hit the right bump. lol.