Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Help! Engine just dies

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Help! Engine just dies

Good day everyone and thank you for having me as a member.

I really need your expertise.

I have a 93 XJ Cherokee Limited 4L HO Auto with about 100 000 miles on it. Here's my problem and I will try to be as descriptive as I can:
My engine just quits, I can be driving at any rpm and the tack goes to 0 the engine dies, it can have been running for an hour or just fired up.
I can shift it to neutral and sometimes it restarts right away, other times it requires more cranking and the last few days it's getting worse and sometimes will take the engine to completely cool before it will restart.
I've been working on this problem with trial and error solutions , thinking I've solved the problem it keeps coming back.

with no codes (the light comes on when I turn the key on and goes out once the engine starts as normal)

I have replaced the fuel filter, the Pick up coil in the distributor, new cap and button, I moved the relays around as they are all the same part numbers, today when it quit it was one of the times that it took about 30 mins to cool down so I checked fuel pressure by pushing the stem on the fuel rail I got all kinds of pressure, however I discovered I had no fire from the coil, so after getting towed home I replaced the coil (new) and the jeep worked good for the rest of the day until tonight low and behold it quit on me again. After cooling for about 30 mins again fired right up.

Again there was no fire from the new coil either...

What would cause the coil to be having no power going to it until the engine or under-hood area cools down?

Any input would be great this is getting expensive lol
If any more info is needed please don't hesitate to ask

Thank you in advance
Mark
Old 10-28-2009, 08:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your throttle positioning sensor.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:00 PM

Troy,
Thank you for your reply, to check it is there a test I can do?, simple clean up job? or replace only?

Thanks
Mark
Old 10-28-2009, 09:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 242 inline six

It can be tested you will need a votage meter with an omhs setting.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:31 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995

I would try the crankshaft postion sensor its getting hot and shorting out that makes the most sense considering it happens at any RPM. And yes it will happen even when the motor is cold.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:22 AM

Thanks Folks,
ordered one (CPS) should be here around 1pm today for a little over a hundred bucks,,, but if it fixes my problem it will be worth every penny. Looks like it may be a bugger to get at, really tight area at the backside of the engine.

I'm figuring to try from the bottom with a few extensions and a socket.

Wish me luck and thanks again for the input I will keep you all posted.

Mark
Old 10-30-2009, 10:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1988 limited
Engine: 4.0 litre

Originally Posted by bigomudders
I would try the crankshaft postion sensor its getting hot and shorting out that makes the most sense considering it happens at any RPM. And yes it will happen even when the motor is cold.
x2
Old 10-30-2009, 02:51 PM

Year: 1989

I had a similar problem and it ended up being my starter relay was bad, but good luck with the CPS, that would be the first place I would start too.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:00 PM

Year: 1990 Pioneer

I had a starting issue no stall however. I replaced my cps and a wobble socket is your friend! Good luck
Old 10-30-2009, 05:11 PM

Hello everyone,
Update on my Jeep XJ,

DirtDog thanks for reminding me I forgot to mention I had replaced the starter relay also (the little white porcelain box on the inner fender) prior to today and it still acted up. Very common on the older Dodges though to leave you along the highway.

I received my CPS today and with a little playing I got it installed. After I installed it I had to go into the city near by which is about 50 mins away from home, so far so good worked good both there and back no issues even in stop and go traffic.

So I'll keep driving and hope for the best but as of now it appears to be all fixed as normally it wouldn't go that far before stalling out and causing me grief.

Thanks again for all your help and input.
Take care
Mark
Old 10-30-2009, 09:42 PM

High all, I am new here.. just got my xj three days ago.. one owner, 133k, all service records, etc. 4.0 auto. I never thought I would see this thread at the top when I just signed on tonight. Boy, that sounds just like mine.. I've only had it a few days. Everything was fine for the first 30 miles or so. The second day I had it, it stalled (very abruptly) just after I pulled into my driveway. I figured maybe my fuel gauge was inaccurate, since the fuel light had been coming on and I was at about 1/8 tank.. new car, who knows? Filled it up and it's been a couple days (another 30mi), all was fine. Tonight, headed out to pick up dinner. Just as I pulled out of my street, it quit (almost, tach to 0), then started back up.. just a a quick stutter. I chalked it up to having just started..again, who knows? About 2 miles from home, cruising at about 50, another stutter, then quits, again, tach to 0 lights, blower etc all working, and I put it in neutral and restarted as I was rolling.. did it again right after that .. .was fine another 1/4 mile, then quit at the traffic light. Now it gets interesting.. I put it in neutral again, this time, nothing.. starter won't crank.. lights are all still working, etc. I put it in park, try again and I'm not sure, but I think the first try I got nothing, tried again, it cranked but wasn't firing right away, and the check engine light was on. It then fired up (no check engine light now), and I got through the light and to the place I was going.. I sat in the parking lot with the car while my wife ran into the restaurant.. the Jeep stalled again once while waiting, then maybe once more on the trip home (about 5 miles round trip). I figured maybe a bad ground somewhere? Does this sound like a CPS to you guys? Maybe the starter relay? Most of the time it would start up, but the one time at the light, it wouldn't crank. What do you guys say?
Old 10-31-2009, 09:36 AM

I just tested the CPS with an ohm meter as per the instructions in the Write Ups section. On the 20K setting (the lowest mine has), I get no reading at all.. it just stays at 1 . Actually, it does that on all settings. I did not have the motor at operating temp as the instructions on the autozone sight say to.. the tutorial on this site said nothing about that.
Is that necessary? I figured I'd get SOME sort of movement reading... am I wrong about that?
Thanks,
Brian
Old 10-31-2009, 10:34 AM

Darnthorny,

Total Deja-Vous bro from what you've described, I can't say 100% it's the CPS but I spent well over 300 bucks trying to figure my problem out (as I posted above) and turns out to be the CPS and from most things I've read on here it seems to be pretty common in these Jeeps.

If i had to do it again I would drop the 100+ bucks first and get yourself one I paid 110 for mine at AutoValue, where NAPA wanted 145 so it might not hurt to shop around a bit.

As for it not cranking that could be your starter relay acting up also dunno. You could put a new starter relay on also as an option there only like 7 bucks and really simple to change as for the CPS install I put mine on ramps, used a few longer extensions an 11mm socket and a universal.

Keep us posted and best of luck
Take care
Mark

PS. I tried testing my CPS, I have the same tester that only starts at 20k and it didn't give me any reading either however it was still bad.

Last edited by 93CherokeeLimited; 10-31-2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:16 PM

Well, I got a CPS at Advance Auto for $67. I drove the mile to my kids house (he has way better tools).. the car died on the hill about 100 yards from his driveway.. wouldn't crank again.... rolled into the drive.. put it in park and it started cranking but took a bit to catch.. Engine light was on again for this. Anyway, it started again. So, spent about an hour in the rain doing the job, but got it in... you really need some long extensions and the swivel socket/adaptor.. and a deep 11m socket.. that's what fit for me anyway. OK, so I drove home and around town a little.. so far, so good! Thanks to this forum.. first day or two and it seems to have really paid off! Thanks to all.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:48 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L Straight 6
Default Same Problem????

I bought a 1989 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L Straight 6. I changed my fuel pump, fuel filter and also changed the distrubtor, cap, spark plugs and wires. I also changed my alternator too. All it does is crank and wont turn over. Was wondering if this sounds like the same problem you guys had. Also if it is the crankshaft position sensor you guys got ripped off on yours. I found it around me for $40. but thanks for the help in advance!!

Quick Reply: Help! Engine just dies