Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6
Default Help?

I've been fixing my old '97 4x4 XJ sport little by little until I started test driving it thinking it was going to be easy until it started giving off this odd sound. Whenever I drive, a clicking/tapping sound comes from the front driver side that seems to speed up as the car does. It also feels held back, like it isn't going at the speed it should. Now, here are my suspicions: 1) It might just be the brakes since all the others were changed except for those from going on a friends word that they didn't need to be changed 2) Maybe it's just a faulty caliper? 3) It's something in the front axle. I'm really hoping it's not #3.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

It could be a sticking brake that's doing the resistance, or it could be a bad wheel bearing. The U Joints can make the clicking sound
Old 03-31-2015, 11:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Put the front axle on jack stands and rotate the wheels by hand. If you can recreate the noise, you may be able to tell where it's coming from.

If you can't rotate the wheels by hand, or can barely rotate them, that strongly suggests a caliper problem. FYI, I bought a brand new '97 XJ and had to throw the front brakes away and replace them because the calipers were seized.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Mein
I've been fixing my old '97 4x4 XJ sport little by little until I started test driving it thinking it was going to be easy until it started giving off this odd sound. Whenever I drive, a clicking/tapping sound comes from the front driver side that seems to speed up as the car does. It also feels held back, like it isn't going at the speed it should. Now, here are my suspicions: 1) It might just be the brakes since all the others were changed except for those from going on a friends word that they didn't need to be changed 2) Maybe it's just a faulty caliper? 3) It's something in the front axle. I'm really hoping it's not #3.

You mean to say you haven't bothered to look and see if it's any of the above faults....

Might be...

May be...

Name:  facepalm2.gif
Views: 15
Size:  989.9 KB