Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

hello everyone!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default hello everyone!

hi,new to the jeep world,just got my first,a 2001 cherokee sport.
it needs some work(bushings i think,clunking around turns and sharp bumps)the heater absolutely suckssss..blower moter only works on high and is so ridiculously loud i justcan't put on high,and it needs a nuetral safety switch.
however,it has a new engine in it(1500 miles)hardly any rust,new tires and brakes,and it is an absolute beast in the snow.
as to my question,it is extremely loud inside,when accelerating thru the first few gears,off the gas it is quite quiet or when once moving and just mild throttle it is ok,i was told this is normal?
as i am 55 and have no interest in being loud..lol..as opposed to my youth,i was wondering if i sprayed undercoating on the firewall and fllor bottom,and wrapped the exhaust with muffler repair tape..not the fiberglass stuff people wrap their bike exhausts with...would that make it quieter..or do i have to just live with the noise.
thought about the fiberglass wrap but worried it will hold moisture and rust out my exhaust system.
seems a petty complaint but i hate loud vehichles..and i have gixxer 750..lol..but at least i have a helmet on.
any suggestions would be much appreciated to quiet the cabin.
thanks in advance!
Old 04-07-2017, 06:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

......my question,it is extremely loud inside,when accelerating thru the first few gears,off the gas it is quite quiet or when once moving and just mild throttle it is ok,i was told this is normal?....
Whoha, before you go sound proofing your Jeep is the loudness; exhaust noise, intake noise or road/tire noise or what?

Loud to one person is acceptable to another. Its a personal subjective thing.
Remember you've got a 16 yr. old vehicle that might of had modifications like performance mufflers, off road knobby tires, worn tires, hi-flow air filters, etc.

You've got to be a little more clearer on what you've got and what you're exactly hearing.
My Jeep is no where near as quiet as my new stock F150 but then again i've got a Flowmaster muffler on my Jeep and i like the higher exhaust noise. Verooom!
Old 04-07-2017, 06:37 PM

thanks for your reply moparado,
no it is all stock,no custum exhaust or whatever.
i got it from an old guy like me..
as i said..it is really loud in the interiour under initial acceleration,and not like in a corvette..where the engine and exhaust really honk..this is just an annoying noise,seems to be coming from the firewall or or just under the floorboards,it is extremely loud but as soon as i get to speed it is quiet.
a friend said that as it is a new engine,it may be loud until it breaks in..not sure i buy that.
i would not mind a performance exhaust that let the noise out of the rear of the car..but the noise from the engine compartment or under my feet is awful.
it is funny with the windows down(and with my head out of the window..the exhausat is not loud at all) or with the truck idling..it is very quiet..seems to be coming from the footwell/firewall
tranny is tight,shifts great and like i said,pretty quiet at idle.
i would like to put a performance exhaust on it for when i get on the gas..but this is just an annoyingly loud sound,not a performance sound
Old 04-07-2017, 07:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1985
Engine: 2.5L

Bad U-joints, worn wheel bearings are two things I can think of that will cause noise in the front. Also transfer case can be noisy if it hasn't been maintained. One other thing would be the ring and pinion gears and bearing in the front axle, that will usually give a low pitch whirring sound similar to oversized tires give.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:31 PM

thanks for the input jed..i was told it is all new...engine trans transfer case..the engine is for sure new,but the noise from it seems is from the floorboards,almost an exhaust sound from the undercarriage by the fire wall..do they make double wall pipes that connect to the manifold?
Old 04-07-2017, 09:33 PM

it is not a gear thing..i know that sound..i just blew the rear on my blazer..this is just a a loud irritating noise under initial acceleration...
Old 04-07-2017, 09:34 PM

maybe just engine break in?
Old 04-07-2017, 09:36 PM

any suggestions on exhaust wrap..undercoating or iam i just throwing money away..i love the truck..i just hate how loud it is
Old 04-07-2017, 09:37 PM

how loud it is inside..
Old 04-07-2017, 09:42 PM
jpz
Seasoned Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

I would say your are throwing money away with the undercoating and exhaust wrap. I think people would need an actual sample (video/audio) of what sound you are hearing before anyone can honestly tell you what it is.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:49 PM

jpz..
yes you are most correct..i know cars..i had a full size blazer back in the 90"s with 33's,the rear blew on that also..wtf is it with chevys..lol..but i know the sound of bad u joints/rears/
this has me baffled...it is tight as ****,and once i done initial acelleration..it is quiet..i doon.t know..i do really like the thing..super utilitarian..and it is a beast in the dirt/snow
Old 04-07-2017, 09:52 PM

jpz..i know mechanical sounds..or more to the point..mechanical about to fail sounds..this is just loud and irritating noise under initial acceleration..harmonics possibly?
Old 04-07-2017, 09:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jpz
I would say your are throwing money away with the undercoating and exhaust wrap. I think people would need an actual sample (video/audio) of what sound you are hearing before anyone can honestly tell you what it is.

^^^^

What he said. Don't start doing things until you know what the problem is. I would not call my Cherokee loud on acceleration. Not even full throttle from dead stop up to highway speed.

I suggest finding out where that noise is coming from before throwing money at it.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:07 PM

i was told that jeeps are..coarse under acceleration..well old ones like mine..i am use to more quiet cars like my s-10 blazer that sucks..lol..but again,i was told that was to expect a noisier vehichle..that said..i have done probably more then 200 engine swaps,more trannys then i care to remember..then did some service as a sub for the mil..was just curious about why it was so loud inside..
never mind..wont bother again to ask..have a nice evening
Old 04-08-2017, 07:02 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

It appears you have had your mind made up from the very beginning and don't want to hear sound advice if it doesn't jibe with your expert opinion.

So here goes... by all means, put twenty coats of bedliner on your firewall, wrap your exhaust multiple times and duct tape some pillows to your floorboards. It won't cure the root issue, but it will be quiet.

Have a nice day.