Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

hello again to all!

Old 05-16-2017, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default hello again to all!

hi,i posted awhile back about a 2001 xj i had just purchased,new to the whole jeep thing.
it was very loud inside,i received a few very good answers,as i came over from the s-10 blazer side which was way more quiet and smoother riding.
still have that issue,but i think i have a handle on it,the bracket from the cat is broken clean off,and a reply mentioned that i may be getting resonence from my exhaust..spot on and thanks!
i may have gotten a bit defensive(a few to many)but i got a snarky comment about how i am such a great mechanic,i wouldnt need any assistance..as i am so smart..lol
not to sound ungratefull,as i recieved alot of good advice..so basically my bad for getting defensive,sorrybut i did ask for advice.
i am starting to love this jeep,it needs alot of work but i really like it.
it has a brand new engine,no rust,etc...but the heater sucks,def has a bad fan speed thing(kinda a resistor)
major issues are super bad sagging rear leafs(mistake on me..i got short aal..shoulda got replacement leafs..but money)bad nss..if it rains,not good,as i saidmterrible issue with heater,tons of stupid ****..bad front speakers,sketchy electrical(door locks occasionally work,windows,etc.)
my new issue..terrible on gas,i can smell gas but it is not leaking,checked for leaks,was told tps needs adjustment,can i just put in 1 step hotter plugs in it like i did with my mx bike when i put in a bigger main jet?i dont care about the fuel consumption,but back in the day..i did this with a 2 stroke mx bike,my main concern is like with my bikes..burning a hole in the top of the piston,or in this case..pistons.
i read a bit about using ohmeters and stuff to adjust it,but i am afraid i am not able to do that,i dont even want to attempt to adjust the new nss switch that i need to replace,although i will attemt it.
just curious if i will damge my engine by changing the heat range of the plugs,lazy.yes,i can tell it is running rich,i dont care about fuel economy.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

...was told tps needs adjustment...
The TPS on later years like your 2001 require no adjustment, The throttle cable however can be adjusted.

...door locks occasionally work,windows,etc...
As far as the electrical issues with the locks and windows, check the large cable at the driver's side door jam. Notorious for broken wires.
Or the switch pod is shot. I had both issues with my 2000. I got a new switch pod off flea bay for around $30.

..changing the heat range of the plugs..
..terrible on gas,i can smell gas but it is not leaking..
..put in a bigger main jet..
No carburetor so no jets. The fuel/air ratio is controlled by the PCM via sensors, the IAC, injectors, Oxygen sensors, etc.
Hotter heat range plugs ain't gonna solve anything, forget that.
There's something else going on if you're smelling fuel.
Need to find the root cause of the problem. A few things that come to mind; leaky injectors(or O rings), shot oxygen sensor, dirty IAC

Is it throwing any CEL trouble codes? Need to check with an OBD-II scanner. Don't rely 100% on the cluster 'check engine light'.
The bulb could be shot or depending on the fault, the PCM doesn't always light up the CEL when it detects a problem.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you,
i really appreciate you took the time to reply.
i understand the jeep doesn't have a carb,i was reffering to what i use to do with my old mx bike when i changed the exhaust system.
i suck at typing so i was most likely unclear.
i think you may be spot on with your solutions,
it has a new engine ,and when i got it,the check engine light was on.
my friend read it with his code reader thing,it said a bad o2,bad cat,and a few other codes,he cleared the codes,and it just went thru n.j. inspection
i assumed it would fail..jersey is strict
friend said it smelled like it was running rich,curious if the o2 would cause that,strange it went thru inspection
anyhow,i very much appreciate you advice,very nice of you..
i has a 97 blazer,so i know about electrical issues,but thanks again,gotta learn to chase down a jeep electrical gremlins.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

If you were think'n hotter plugs and smell fuel, its running rich, the reason for the fouled plugs. Either one or more injectors are leaking, broke or O-rings are shot.

Here's what i would if i had your XJ and wanted a dependable DD and pass emissions:
-replace injectors
-check fuel pressure
-replace O2 sensors, make sure the O2 sensor wiring is intact.
-replace cat converter and muffler if necessary. Cats are relatively cheap for XJs. Hopefully you've got the single cat exhaust system which makes it a less painful to do.
-clean or replace IAC. Lots of Utube videos on how to clean.
-replace plugs with recommend P/N from Chrysler. I use NGK equivalents
-replace coolant temp sensor
-replace PVC
-replace TPS or check per a search here. I just replaced mine.
-replace MAP sensor
-Change oil with WIX filter
-new air filter

And take it from there.
I've done the same when my engine was swapped. My reasoning? Didn't want 300k mile sensors and other parts on a new engine.

I strongly recommend using OEM Mopar parts for the sensors. Sometimes you can get OEM Mopar parts cheaper on fleabay or Amazon.
Ain't gonna be cheap to do, but no pain, no gain.