Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Heavy vibrations and extremely loud, grinding noise whenever the electric fan starts?

Old 11-22-2010, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0, 6cyl; everything is stock... for now!
Exclamation Heavy vibrations and extremely loud, grinding noise whenever the electric fan starts?

Okay, I have a 1994 Jeep Cherokee SE 4.0L 6Cyl. I had to replace the entire electrical fan assembly because of a faulty fan blade and the inability to aquire just a blade. Before I replaced it I would experience very heavy vibrations throughtout the Jeep, accompanied by a very load grinding noise. So, when I learned the original assembly wasn't functioning properly, due to a faulty fan blade, I had to replace the entire assembly. Now that I have done this, I still experiance the same problems; whether I turn on the AC on manualy, or the motor kicks on to help cool the radiator.
I have a slight inclination, the culprit could be bad bearings in the compressor. Could this be the case? Or does the problem lie elsewear? Any hints, or advice will be GREATLY APPRECIATED! And I am very thankful for your help! I can't complain though; I pretty much rescued this Jeep from a young couple whom absolutely had no clue of the potential and reliablility in this vehicle!

They had it for approx. 3 months, during which had driven it for 13,000 miles without changing a single thing: oil (which was black and burnt), air filter (which looked like it had been removed from a pile of soot), fuel filter (which was filled with all sorts of debree), transmission fluid (which is dark brown in color), they had also been driving with a bad spark plug wire on the third cylinder for over 2 of those months; so it was a '5 cylinder' for quite some time!

Needless to say, they told me I could have it for $450.00. I was more than happy to take it off of their hands!