Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Heater Off/On

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Heater Off/On

Originally Posted by mcfadyen72
95 Cherokee Sport, 4.0L.
My heater started to cut out. first i just pushed on the face of the control unit and it would start again.
i pulled the dash plate off and the stereo out and wiggled the wires on the back of the unit and it would start then cut out.
when i touched the top of the unit in the middle it's freaking hot! like you can't hold your finger on it for more than 3 seconds without seriously burning yourself.
any ideas? is the whole unit bad? i don't have much electrical testing stuff other than a basic test light.

On my 94 XJ two years ago I had replaced the 4 position blower switch seeing that the factory connection was somewhat melted and the switch was seizing up. I broke off the factory connections and placed connectors on each wire. Again my heater is not working so I pulled the air conditioner/heater control panel out and I see that two of the 4 wire connections (yellow/tan and green wires)have toasted their connections on the wire and on the switch lugs.

I replaced the 4 pos switch and cleaned the connections. It works off and on. Sometimes I can hit the front of the dash and it would work. When it works all 4 fan speeds operate. Sometimes when it shuts off beating doesn't work but if I cycle the slide lever to the "Off" position and slide it to "Heat" or "Defrost" it will come on again. It may work 1 minute to 30+ minutes. Other times the beating and cycling doesn't work.

I can reach into the blower motor and spin the squirrel cage with my finger, so I guess the motor isn't binding. I looked at the outside portion of the resistor, it appears clean and assuming the other posters with resistor problems, mine works all 4 speeds.

I see according to the Hayne's electrical diagram the a/c heater panel also is a "switch". Could this be the problem?
Will check the ground but from a look onto the firewall side, it appears the fan has both + and - wired to it via factory wire.

TIA