Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Heat not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat not working

Ok for some reason my heat blow worm but not that warm like a few degrees warmer then outside worm. Anyone got any ideas?
Old 03-20-2014, 11:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0,2.5

If you fill out your info. That will help people know what you have. I guess now with messed up jadgets, you need to put it in your first post as well, since the "improved" stuff doesn't let some people see your info.

You can disconnect the two hoses going into the firewall, to your heater core, then with a garden hose flush back and forth a bunch of times.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:18 AM

Ok so I'm getting kinda sick of people getting on me about filling out my info. I don't have any options to fill out anymore info then I have. If someone wants to explain how to fill out more info on this app I'd be more then glad to. I have a 98 xj with a 4.0l. Does that help any? Sorry for not putting it in before....
Old 03-21-2014, 12:10 PM
CF Veteran

OH! I don'r have a "gadget". You might need to use a computer for that. On the top left is "user CP" , (for control panel). Then on the top left is a deal to click to get to your info.

That 88 has a heater control valve. Assuming it's plastic, (some earlier were metal), be supper careful. It's brittle and will break easily. (really easily).

There is a diaphragm with a vacuum line to it. With the engine running, watch the lever from the diaphragm while someone works the temp lever on the dash. You should see it move.

Got a good 195* thermostat? Is it getting up to temp?

Here's an odd question. Does the idle fluctuate every 20 seconds or so? (slow down, maybe sputter a sec, rev a bit, smooth out a bit, then repeat?) My heat got noticeably better and my idle smoothed out when I changed out my stone-dead 02 sensor. (mileage went up also, of course).

EDIT! Whoops! 98! Sheez...(no valve).

Last edited by DFlintstone; 03-21-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by BigDaveA82
Ok so I'm getting kinda sick of people getting on me about filling out my info. I don't have any options to fill out anymore info then I have. If someone wants to explain how to fill out more info on this app I'd be more then glad to. I have a 98 xj with a 4.0l. Does that help any? Sorry for not putting it in before....
It's not a big deal. But it does make a difference on a lot of parts. If you can figure out how to fill out the profile just add what year, engine and model into you post. Anyways give the heater core a good back flush. Make sure to flush it in both directions. Once the water start to come out clear flush it again in both directions. You should also poke your head under the dash to make sure that the blend door is operating correctly. Take care of those things and let us know if it help. If you are still having a problem we can work from there.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 247 Posts
Year: 1997 (RHD)
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 ltr

The " No Heat" season must be slowly coming to an end....there is always one more lacking behind the big hurd.

Can't wait 'till the " Overheating! HELP!" season starts...thinking about doing a write-up on that.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Roler
The " No Heat" season must be slowly coming to an end....there is always one more lacking behind the big hurd.

Can't wait 'till the " Overheating! HELP!" season starts...thinking about doing a write-up on that.

The "No AC" season is upon us. Watch for it.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Roler

Okay Bimmer. LOL
Old 03-21-2014, 07:16 PM

Sorry if I seemed like a butt-head earlier I was kinda cranky. Thanks to everyone one who tried to help me anyway. I will try to flush the heater core on my next day off. Thanks again
Old 03-25-2014, 12:26 AM
CF Veteran

AW, we got bigger b-heads. You are cool. There are lots of changes through the years, some here know their year better than other years, is why you hear that. Just find a real computer and put your info in. Then you can hear from people with real computers.

I'm gonna suggest you don't use "some product" , with the heater core connected. Myself, I'd rather loosen phit and flush the cooling system and not "invite" that crud to the smaller passages in my heater core. This discussion can go on endlessly, but bottom line, don't flush crud into your heater core, treat it separately, is my .o2.

Let us know how it works out

Last edited by DFlintstone; 03-25-2014 at 12:33 AM. Reason: is it "there, or "their" ?
Old 03-25-2014, 06:21 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

did you check the basics like coolant level in the radiator? low coolant level will cause poor heat. where does the temp gauge sit most of the time a thermostat may be in trouble, does it get warmer when you rev the engine. people are so quick to jump to fixes (not to say the heater core wont clog up because they do) and if you are going to go through the trouble of flushing the heater core i would flush the entire engine. but checking the basics is always a good start.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:06 AM

It's easier to move to a warmer climate than it is to change the heater core. IMHO. LOL
Old 03-25-2014, 10:28 AM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0l

Start with basics.. Check coolant level as mentioned as well as properly functioning thermostat.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:46 PM

Year: 99

Originally Posted by RubberSideUp
It's easier to move to a warmer climate than it is to change the heater core. IMHO. LOL
I looked at a RHD Cherokee (97 I think) that the owner had put in a heater under his mail tray on the left side where the seat used to be.
He ran a wire to the battery & ran longer hoses from the engine.
He said it was easier & cheaper than replacing the heater core!
I hope I never find out....
Old 03-25-2014, 09:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

I'm surprised the censor didn't nix the "blow worm" comment in the OP first post.

Quick Reply: Heat not working