Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

heard about being able to use ford coil springs on my jeep?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default heard about being able to use ford coil springs on my jeep?

so i new to this site and have questions about being able to put ford coils springs on my cherokee i seen some jeeps with it and i wanna know is it safe cause im the kind of person who likes to build most, to all the parts for my wheeler. i dont like spending tons of money on lifts that are pre bulit or buying tube bumpers already built i think building your parts for your wheeler is the most important part of owning a wheeler is getting down and dirty and creative.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes you can use Ford F150 coils springs on the front of your XJ. They are thicker and have a higher spring rate resulting in 4 to 4.5 inches of lift. They are however stiffer and provide a harsher ride and less flex offroad.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

buy xj coils. ive tried many combos of junk yard coils. bought is so much nice.

coils,shocks, tires are the only things i will buy new. i source/build everything else
Old 08-08-2010, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sure don't mean to hijack your thread here but I have some pertinent info along with a question: My jeep has (I was told), F150 coils on front, when I bought it. It has a full 3" of lift. We went on a ride Saturday in a very rocky area (dry creek beds, with creek rock everywhere). I swear, today I am sore from being beat to death and I had to go so slow, I could not keep up. I love the lift, but hate the ride. I, like you, do not want to have to buy a set of springs from a company, I would like to use jy springs, ( I have a friend who owns a jy and practically gives me everything I get there, I am a cheap SOB.) SOOO, What kind of jy springs will let me keep my 3", but soften the ride a little? Will a 3"spacer and stock springs on front be bad? Are front spacers bad in general, or just to a certain height?