Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Headlights and running/dash lights won't turn on at the same time

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Headlights and running/dash lights won't turn on at the same time

There are a few threads mentioning this problem, but worryingly, I didn't find anyone having actually SOLVED it.

When I pull the plunger on my headlight switch to the position where the dash lights and running lights should turn on, they don't turn on. However, if I push the plunger just slightly back in, they do. Same with the headlight position: if I put it in the headlight position, the headlights turn on, but the dash and running lights don't. However, if I push the plunger just slightly back in, the dash/running lights turn on (but the headlights go out).

I've replaced the headlight switch: no change. My guess is there's a short somewhere, but it's weird that the dash and running lights DO turn on...just at the wrong position. It's also possible that something inside the dash has rusted, because we got over 200 inches (~17 feet) of snow here this winter, which means a lot of salt spray, so a lot of my dash (cigarette lighter, specifically, but some electrical connections, too) are in rough shape. If there's an argument for doors on your daily driver, I guess this is it.

Old 01-11-2020, 01:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default I encountered the same issue/problem

My HID ballast went out thinking it was the headlights switch..replaced it from AUTOZONE ..Nothing no headlights would turn on and now my switch was off from my dome lights etc . Installed new LEDs headlights with a harness headlights turn on but not at correct switch ..