Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Headlight switch fell out

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5L
Default Headlight switch fell out

I've read a whole lot of threads here about headlight switches, but so far I haven't run across any that have my problem. I was driving home the other night at dusk and when I went to turn on the headlights, the plunger came out of the dash in my hand. I'd had no prior symptoms of any issues, it didn't snap or anything, it just pulled right out and the lights remained off. I learned how fragile the switch circuitry is by reading here, so I ordered up a replacement and went about fixing it. When I installed the new switch the headlights came on. I screwed it to the dash and went to install the new plunger and, after an initial little catch when it shut the lights back off, it now just slides in and out freely just like before. WHAT??? All that's left to replace is the plunger, but I don't get what could've broken. This switch has worked almost daily for years without trouble until it just fell out, so I don't get what would've caused this, or how to fix it. I'm going to get a new plunger, but I'm skeptical.

Here are a couple pics of the original switch and plunger. I was expecting a melted mess, but I'm guessing this switch is just as good as my new one. Does anyone see anything odd about the plunger?

I've got a sunset curfew until I get this sorted out.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The plunger can't be what holds the switch in place, can it?.. You aren't the first person to replace a good switch with another good switch; and I hope I am not either. Any screws or nuts in the carpet on the floor or caught in the pieces of the dash pieces under the switch?
Old 08-18-2018, 05:36 PM

The switch is held in place with a flat head collar that screws through the dash panel into the switch assy. The plunger pin goes through the hole and into the switch. This is reinstalled on the new switch.
There's a little spring on the bottom that has no effect on catching the plunger either.

​​​
Old 08-18-2018, 08:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

The spring loaded button is what releases the plunger, is it flush with or protruding from the switch?
Old 08-18-2018, 11:09 PM

Thanks for the replies. This is harder to explain than it should be, or maybe I just don't words too good. The spring loaded button is extended, I can press it down through the access hole but the plunger won't go any further in. The old switch on the work bench is the same way, so I've used it for testing but I just can't get it to catch the plunger. Here are three pics of the dash, as it currently sits.
With the plunger inserted as far as it goes. It will not go farther, even with the spring loaded button depressed or by wiggling (limited range anyhow with the collar screw installed). This feels like the right depth to my memory of the working switch before it fell out.

With the plunger pulled out to where it catches on the dimmer ring. It pulls straight out to here with no resistance, headlights do not illuminate.

Fully removed. It pulls past the dimmer ring with a slight jiggle and comes right out. The collar screw, visible, is tight screwed into the switch body. The switch is stable when felt from the underside of the dash.

Assuming that the old switch is funtionally the same, I've been working with it on the bench to try to get the plunger post to catch. Is there some trick to this I'm not getting? I assume the tapered end of the post goes past a spring loaded clasp which can be released by the button. It should just click into place, right? It's not a lack of force on my part, at least on the old switch, because I've given it some tough love.

The new switch is as new, I've only inserted the post 3 times before returning to the old switch, so I doubt I've broken it. It was in the "on" position when I installed it. When I pushed the post in, I felt the switch depress with it and the lights shut off. At the bottom it was in the condition of the first photo and pulled right back out. Nothing snapped or anything. I went looking for a new plunger this afternoon, but I guess I'll have to order one online. It looks identical to the one I have though, pictured in the first post.

I hope that explains the conundrum better. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I replaced my perfectly functional headlight switch because both my headlight low beams were out and what else could it have been, I remember the plunger not going in correctly and driving me absolutely crazy. I was just about to pull my hair out one strand at a time and then it all kinda fell together. The moral of the story is just don't give up. And/or wait for a bit and some guru on here will tell you the trick; there is always a trick. Maybe put the plunger in and pull it into high beam position, pull the plunger out and install the switch... or turn the dome light on and install the switch... or something

good luck
Old 08-19-2018, 01:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

This video shows how the plunger is inserted & removed:

Old 08-19-2018, 12:13 PM

I mended it! Thanks for the link, I'm sure I've watched enough videos and read enough threads that Google thinks I have some kinky headlight switch fetish. I tore apart the old switch for science, so much for keeping a spare. What I found was that the spring loaded button only functions when the switch is in the "on" position. Once it's pushed in, it would be difficult or in my case impossible to seat the post. I pulled the new switch back out and then used a wire with a small bend at the end to reach in and hook the switch. I could feel it click twice distinctly as I carefully pulled it back out to "on". After a trial run using the button and angling it downward I got it to catch on the workbench. I reassembled everything and carefully, for the last time, used the button to catch the post before it pushes the switch back.

I saw no way that the catch could work once it's fully pushed in to "off", but using a coat hanger with a small barb on the end I could return it to its default "on" position. Hopefully this thread helps the next poor sucker who tries to do this quickly and ends up questioning his sanity. Thanks again for the replies.