Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Headlamp/Parking Lamp/Turn Signal issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation Headlamp/Parking Lamp/Turn Signal issues

1994 Cherokee Country

Both the headlamp and parking lamp on the driver side are dead, though both on the passenger side work fine. Jeep has been sitting for awhile, so I cannot remember how and when this started exactly, but what are the odds it's just bulbs vs something else? Fuses/Relays seem good, and like I said passenger side is fine. Just seems odd that both on the driver side fail to work.

I also have no turn signals front or rear. Before they went out completely, they'd behave erratically, flashing quickly, or not at all, or a single flash every few seconds. I assume this is the turn signal switch/lever (turn signal fuse is fine)? I have a new one sitting in the garage, just need to rent a steering wheel puller and lock plate removal tool.

As a side note for the above, the hazards work although the passenger rear bulb seems to be dying (it's very faint), and the driver front does not flash, but does everywhere else.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:01 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Rodent infestation? Any chewed up wires? Look right in front of the air cleaner.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:05 PM

I was wrong about the turn signals:

The turn signal lever/switch I bought was the wrong fit, however I'm not sure that's the issue. I tried swapping the hazard flasher with the turn signal flasher, and the turn signals work. The hazard flasher is 224, and the turn signal flasher is 552.

I bought a new 552 flasher, however that did not fix the issue - rather than no flashing, I'm back to inconsistent/solid flashing. I bought a second flasher, EL12, as it's supposed to replace the 552 version, but no luck. Should I try getting a 224, despite it being for hazard and not turn signals? Thoughts as to what's going on here?

ETA: I haven't been able to check the wiring for the driver lights yet, though I can confirm the driver hi-beam works, just not the low-beam.

Last edited by cashel; 08-02-2014 at 10:07 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:11 AM

I've mostly fixed the headlamp/parking lamp issue by replacing both the parking lamp bulb and headlamp on the driver side.Parking lamp still does not work, but headlamp does, which is good enough for now.

I still don't know what's going on with the turn signals. Neither they nor the hazards work at this point, even after swapping flashers. Thoughts?