Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Head lights won't come clean

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Cherokee
Default Head lights won't come clean

Can not get the head light lens clean on Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I was wondering if the oxidation or what every causes the lens to cloud up is on the inside of the light.

If anyone has any experience with this problem, please help me.

I have went on youtube and tried all recommendations but nothing works.

Also, does anyone know how the car repair shop cleans the lens. Please let me know.

Thanks,

Mike in Virginia Beach
Old 07-13-2017, 07:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by mange1234
Can not get the head light lens clean on Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I was wondering if the oxidation or what every causes the lens to cloud up is on the inside of the light.

If anyone has any experience with this problem, please help me.

I have went on youtube and tried all recommendations but nothing works.

Also, does anyone know how the car repair shop cleans the lens. Please let me know.

Thanks,

Mike in Virginia Beach
Try this Mike:
Amazon Amazon
I've used it and the basic one they offer with exceptional results. Just be sure and follow the directions.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by 4WD4EVER
Try this Mike:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01M2..._t2_B01M35VXJ8
I've used it and the basic one they offer with exceptional results. Just be sure and follow the directions.

Thank you very much for taking your time to help me. I always appreciate when members respond and render help. I have had lots of great suggestions from members of this forum and appreciate it greatly.

In reference to the cleaning kit, I used one that my son-in-law gave me, and it did not work.

Here is my history of cleaning head lights. on my two cars.

I used baking soda and vinegar on two head lights on my Nissan Quest, and they cleaned up great.

Then, I use the same baking soda and vinegar on my Jeep and the driver side lens cleaned up great. But, that light had been changed a bout a year of two ago when it would not pass inspection. So, I told shop to change it out.

However, the head light on the passenger side (the Jeep) would not clean up. This light is original. 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee. LOL. So, I am wondering if maybe it is on the inside.

I read on the internet to soak the light in vinegar. Not sure about that. But, may try it just to see. Car does not need inspection until 4-18. So, I'm good until then.

I'll post later if I do decide to soak the lens in vinegar and let interested members know how it works.

It would be interesting to have a complete understanding of what causes the lens to cloud up. For example. is the ulta violet rays causing it, is it oxidation. Is clouding on the surface, or through out the plastic lens.

Thanks again,

Mike in Virginia Beach. (80 year old retire seaman)
Old 07-14-2017, 09:33 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mange1234
Thank you very much for taking your time to help me. I always appreciate when members respond and render help. I have had lots of great suggestions from members of this forum and appreciate it greatly.

In reference to the cleaning kit, I used one that my son-in-law gave me, and it did not work.

Here is my history of cleaning head lights. on my two cars.

I used baking soda and vinegar on two head lights on my Nissan Quest, and they cleaned up great.

Then, I use the same baking soda and vinegar on my Jeep and the driver side lens cleaned up great. But, that light had been changed a bout a year of two ago when it would not pass inspection. So, I told shop to change it out.

However, the head light on the passenger side (the Jeep) would not clean up. This light is original. 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee. LOL. So, I am wondering if maybe it is on the inside.

I read on the internet to soak the light in vinegar. Not sure about that. But, may try it just to see. Car does not need inspection until 4-18. So, I'm good until then.

I'll post later if I do decide to soak the lens in vinegar and let interested members know how it works.

It would be interesting to have a complete understanding of what causes the lens to cloud up. For example. is the ulta violet rays causing it, is it oxidation. Is clouding on the surface, or through out the plastic lens.

Thanks again,

Mike in Virginia Beach. (80 year old retire seaman)
My pleasure.

The lens coating is only a few microns thick. While very durable, UV light and repeated exposure to stones, salt, sand, etc., will eventually wear it away, in which case no product, technique and tools will fix.

As I said, there are companies that can recoat them or just purchase new ones to replace.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:38 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

The way I've seen it done, is with sandpaper, that might sound wrong, but it's just like paint prep, you step up grits from 1000 to 2000, then 3000, then buff out with rubbing compound, polish, and seal.

If you have an air powered die grinder, they make special arbors/pads to do all the above, and it makes short work of it. Mask off the areas around the headlamps, and go to it.

If this all sounds too daunting, check out some local auto detailers, willing to bet they'll offer the service for substantially less than new lamps/covers.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:40 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Here's a link:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...-new-16649941/
Old 07-14-2017, 09:49 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

What you can do is tape off the car (use a trash bag spread across the front fenders and hood to protect from paint overspray on the body), and respray the headlamps... a guy named ChrisFix on YouTube has a good tutorial on this... takes a few hours but it's well worth it because your headlamps will be as new (the guy does his tutorial on a PT Cruiser, but will work on any vehicle).
Old 07-14-2017, 09:55 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by roninofako
The way I've seen it done, is with sandpaper, that might sound wrong, but it's just like paint prep, you step up grits from 1000 to 2000, then 3000, then buff out with rubbing compound, polish, and seal.

If you have an air powered die grinder, they make special arbors/pads to do all the above, and it makes short work of it. Mask off the areas around the headlamps, and go to it.

If this all sounds too daunting, check out some local auto detailers, willing to bet they'll offer the service for substantially less than new lamps/covers.
Agreed. And, yes, it seems counterintuitive. If the seal has been broken and the blemish is on the inside of the lens, I don't know the answer to that...never had it happen yet.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just get a new one they are dirt cheap......

Amazon Amazon
Old 07-14-2017, 03:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

Sounds like someone sprayed it with mosquito spray and youre having a hard time getting it to clear up. Same thing with my moms lexus someone told her to spray it and itll clear it up while yes it does for a pinch, It also destroys it as it melts the lense making it not even worth the time to fix. My suggestion is get new headlights i know theyre expensive but at that point atleast imo isnt worth the work as for me it took me almost 3 days to get it somewhat presentable after hours and hours of sanding to get it clear. And at this point its still cloudy but any more and i would sand into the light and make a hole lol so i stopped. Lets hope thats not your case. I hate when people say that it works but it also ruins the light as well and lasts a week.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

You need to sand the headlight clean as you can get it and then spray a clear paint that is uv stable , that's what they do at the factory . I've done my other cars about two years ago and they still look good and clear .
Old 07-15-2017, 07:26 AM

Try this Mike:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01M2..._t2_B01M35VXJ8
Thank you for your kind help. I'm getting lots of good info from our members and this is making my Saturday morning a great one. I love to learn. I will consider and investigate all suggestions on how to clean the head light lens on my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

On one inspection, the shop charged me for a new light. And, during another inspection, the shop clean the lens. Now, I have some good information to run with, so to speak.

Thanks again,

Mike in Virginia Beach
Old 07-15-2017, 07:29 AM

My pleasure.

The lens coating is only a few microns thick. While very durable, UV light and repeated exposure to stones, salt, sand, etc., will eventually wear it away, in which case no product, technique and tools will fix.

As I said, there are companies that can recoat them or just purchase new ones to replace.
Thank you for help. That makes sense. The newer one comes clean with cleaning methods and the original head light lens won't come clean.

I will investigate all suggestions, Appreciate help very much.

Mike in Virginia Beach
Old 07-15-2017, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by tech
You need to sand the headlight clean as you can get it and then spray a clear paint that is uv stable , that's what they do at the factory . I've done my other cars about two years ago and they still look good and clear .
Thank you, I have a buffer and nothing to lose since the lens will either have to be clean of replaced with a new one before the next inspection.

Also, very interesting to gather and learn information for this help request.

Thank you again,

Mike in Virginia Beach ( 100 degrees today)
Old 07-15-2017, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by roninofako

Thank you,

Very interesting to compare having a shop clean the lens vs purchasing a new one. I'm into saving money. Since retired on a fixed income. lol

Mike in Virginia Beach. (Hot here this Saturday) gona stay inside.