Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Head gasket questions and car loses all power in a few days

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Head gasket questions and car loses all power in a few days

So I plan on replacing a head gasket that i got in a jeep that i purchased for a great price. I was wondering how long on average it takes for you or on average for anyone to do a head gasket in a straight 6. I have somewhat/decent mechanical experience but I have never taken a head off of a car. I have all the right tools, air tools, car lift in garage (sweet right), and anything else you can think of. I know it's a straight 6 and I heard its cake, but how long do you thing it would take a first time to do it after i read the how-to's and do's and dont's? I need to fix it asap because I need a car to drive before I head back to school that next morning. And also, if the exhaust manifold bolts break, are they easily replaceable or what? I haven't taken a look at how they are mounted...

Also, that same cherokee drains its battery in like 3 or 4 days of standing, maybe a little longer. What may be the problem? I have a feeling like its the rear defrost staying on because I would not be able to turn it off...Would that be a resistor for it or just the switch itself?

I would greatly appreciate any help given.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:37 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Took me a full day but pizza and beer got in the way and I left everything on the head intake,exhaust, ect. I jus lifted it all as one, makes it much easier and faster.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995

as for the head gasket replacement...it all depends on the person doing it and experience they have...some of the people on here could probably do it in their sleep...lol...as for the battery draw...I would look at the switch first and go from there...you will have to check each circuit until you find where the draw is if it isn't the rear defrost circuit...if it has an after market stereo I would look there...good luck...I am sure you will get better estimates from some of the others on here for the head gasket replace...
Old 09-30-2011, 07:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000.1999,1996

It should take roughly 3-5 hours for a first timer if you don't run into any snags,try pulling the fuse for the rear defrost to see if thats the issue.Make sure to use new head bolts, and get the better head gasket like felpro,and also replace the intake,exhaust gasket. Also make sure you get the intake back on flush, because sometimes you can get it on crooked,and this will make your idle very high. Might as well replace the rocker cover gasket too.Good luck.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

Plan on a day if it is your first time. Not a good idea to do it a day before you need to take a trip with it. Murphy is alive and well you know.............
Old 09-30-2011, 08:41 PM

yea, i kind of just want to take the head off as a whole with the intake and exhaust but then again it would be heavy and while i bought the whole gasket set for everything, i might as well replace em all. i had a feeling that it would be around 6 hours for me, and I think that's what it really would be..but then again i thought my lift wouldnt take any longer than 10 or 12 hours but it took me like 2 days