Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Has an ABS retrofit been done yet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Has an ABS retrofit been done yet?

I have an '87 XJ Chief that I'm building as a straight up road warrior, no off roading (except for medians and dirt roads) but I want it to be able to make it through anything on the road (snow, high water, etc.) primarily snow. My DD is an '06 Honda Civic which of course has ABS and the first day I drove the XJ in the snow I quickly realized how awesome ABS really is as I almost took out the car in the lane next to me while trying to stop at a stop sign. I would love to retrofit an ABS system into my XJ and was wondering if it's been done before.

I saw a 95 Cherokee (9-94 build date) in the junkyard with a very simple looking ABS modulator, only a few wires and a single brake line going to the rear brakes just like my XJ. I know the hubs would also have to be swapped for the speed sensors and I'm guessing that the ECU is what actually controls the ABS system (not a stand alone controller). If it isn't controlled by a stand alone controller I think I could rig up either a Basic Stamp or Parallax Propeller micro controller to drive the ABS system.

After seeing that the 95's ABS system only had the single brake line to the rear I kind of got excited again about this idea 'cause I wouldn't have to redo the rear brake lines. I could get the parts from the junkyard for about $100 (brake booster, master cylinder, ABS modulator, and hubs) and I already have the micro controllers. Is this feasible or just not worth the time?
Old 02-15-2010, 11:34 AM

found this ABS swap thread for a VW using a fully self contained ABS system, I may end up taking this route using the brake booster and MC out of the 95 Cherokee and the ABS modulator from the 97 Passat. Still doing some research, any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: l6 4.0, K&N FIPK & 62mm bored TB

It was done by a guy named SilverXJ on Jeep forum. He might be able to help you, but be warned that offroaders often have negative things to say about ABS and might not be very helpful. I liked my ABS and was sorry to see it go when I swapped to an 8.25.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:06 AM

looked up SilverXJ and it says he's been banned, lol