Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

hard to turn left

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 03:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Unhappy hard to turn left

I have a 92 xj Cherokee Laredo 4x4 4.0L, its got 177k, its lifted (I'm not sure how much), and it sits on 32s

I have a steering issue that can become very annoying when navagating parking lots and trails.

My steering wheel occasionally becomes very hard to turn left at slow speeds and slightly harder to turn left at higher speeds. It feels like I loose all power steering. This ONLY happens when turning left, when turning right it operates perfectly. When this happens if I turn my wheel slightly to the right and back to the left it operates normally .

When the issue occurs there does not appear to be any clicking, grinding or hissing. However there is whine/hum. It is the same whine/hum sound that the power steering makes when I turn the wheel to is maximum point.

Also when turning left (and its working) there is a small hiss all the way from center to far left, but on the right the hiss does not come until I am near far right.

I changed the p/s fluid using the turkey baster method and 3 quarts of fluid.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: Inline 6 4.0 H.O.

Mine does the same thing but when I turn it to the right, any help is appreciated.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:15 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 L

bad valves in the steering gearbox maybee. or maybee the steering damper is going awall
Old 07-27-2022, 11:17 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by FL Denmark
bad valves in the steering gearbox maybee. or maybee the steering damper is going awall
​​​​​​I think I have this valve issue on my wj steering box.. it would turn both ways freely when front wheels are off the ground and engine off. there's a clunking noise from the steering box when making full right turn stop. But with engine on there's seems to be a stiff pressure when turning left yet all seems ok going to the right.. I'm thinking the steering box is the problem..